Create bookmarks (semi-) automatic

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

JoJo77
User

Create bookmarks (semi-) automatic

Post by JoJo77 »

My job is to make it easier to navigate in a PDF - either via bookmarks or maybe cross reference links.

It is similar to a Thesaurus or law code book with around 1,500 articles/ § /entries
I do NOT want to jump to a page, but rather to a certain text on this page. There are quite a few entries on a single page and they will be shifted around every few months with a new edition. So jumping directly to the entry seems much more sensible.

I have tried to import bookmarks from a txt file - it works like a treat, including the parent / children relations!!
I know that I now can establish a link between a bookmark and the article in the text manually. But with around 1,500 bookmarks in front of me I would appreciate any idea for (semi) automation. At the moment there is no unique font / size / colour for the entries - but if this makes it easier I could put that on a wish-list for the typesetter for the next edition.
Which naturally does not solve my problem of today ...

Any solutions, ideas, workarounds are appreciated!

Thanks
Jo

BTW - the source that I sent to the typesetter is a spreadsheet (if this helps in any way) So I have all the "raw data"
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Create bookmarks (semi-) automatic

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, JoJo77

If the text you are looking to link to does not have special formatting or anything else of the like, there will not be a good way to reliably automate this process unfortunately. If you do go through and apply formatting, than you can certainly make use of our "generate bookmarks" feature as detailed in section 2 of this article:

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... the-Editor

Do note that it is actually impossible to tie the bookmark to the text itself, bookmarks, like the text itself are created pointing to coordinates on the page, this position is set during creation and is not automatically changed at any point after that. If the text in question is changed, moved, or deleted after the bookmark is placed, the bookmark itself will be unaffected, and unaware of any changes, and will continue pointing to the same position on the same page as before.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com