[Suggestion:] Rename only tab and preserve file name

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

burny
User

Post by burny »

Dear Tracker team,

I am often working with different tabs. The different PDF documents in the tab are stored in a kind of DMS. The documents stored in the DMS have cryptic names which are not very intuitive. Therefore, I would like to rename the tabs. However, I am not allowed to rename the files as they would be lost in the DMS.

As far as I know, the standard behavior of PDF-XChange Editor is to rename the file when I only want to rename the tab. Would it be possible to include an option to "only rename the tab".

This would be great!

Thank you and best regards,
burny
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: [Suggestion:] Rename only tab and preserve file name

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello burny,

You can set a document title. This is stored internally in the document and is completely independent of the file name.
You can see/set/change the Title from the Document properties pane (Ctrl+D while you have a file active):
image.png
Once that is set - you can then go to the Editor's Preferences (Ctrl + K), General -Tabs and Windows -> Setup... and change the "Document Tab Title:" to "Document Title" and you will then see in the tabs the title you just set up instead of the file name:
image1.png
Kind regards,
Stefan
burny
User

Re: [Suggestion:] Rename only tab and preserve file name

Post by burny »

Perfect! Thank you. Exactly what I needed.

Best regards!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)