Auto Rename Fields - Drag'n Drop

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

adameworks
User

Auto Rename Fields - Drag'n Drop

Post by adameworks »

So I know the automatic renaming of form fields feature is available via "Insert Pages". Is there any way to enable this via drag and drop in the thumbnails? We were able to do this in Foxit before we switched over.

Thanks!
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Auto Rename Fields - Drag'n Drop

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi adameworks

thanks for the post and excellent question.

As you seem to already have noticed, this is not currently available via Drag and Drop. The Insert Pages dialogue has a dropdown to select the desired form field action, how would that work in a Drag and Drop scenario?
image.png
I expect that using the last used option might be possible, or does this need an option in the preferences along the lines of "When inserting pages by drag and drop use this choice for form fields" and the list box.

I cannot guarantee this will be implemented but I think it's a good idea and we should at least make the proposal to the dev team.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi again adameworks,

I discussed this with the dev team and we have agreed to look into it. I have raised a formal Feature Request around this, and while intended only for internal use, if you refer to RT#5562: Feature Request :: Editor :: Rename Form fields options for Drag and Drop insert pages. in correspondence with us, then any support team member can get you a status update.

The suggestion from the devs was to prompt with a question about what to do when drag and drop inserting pages with form fields.

I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
adameworks
User

Post by adameworks »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for checking on this and apologies for the late reply. Apparently I need to tweak my forum notification settings.

Foxit essentially has a prompt (keep field names or automatically rename) when it detects form fields with the same name being added via Drag n' Drop. If automatically rename is selected at that point I believe it appends "123" or something like that to the form fields in the document being added.

I think being able to set a default action(s) at the least and potentially a "Do Not Prompt Again" selection would be nice. Default actions would cover everyone's most used settings and the "Do Not..." would just be some icing on the cake for those who use the same function and settings over and over and over....

Regards,
Adam
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Adam,

thanks for the details. I have added these comments to the ticket and we shall see what eventuates.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke