Order of copied text

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

IronJosie
User

Order of copied text

Post by IronJosie »

Hello,

I have some PDF where I need to copy text from. Selecting/copying works like a charm, however the order of the text when pasting does not match the "optical" order within the PDF.
Is it somehow possible to copy the text maintaining the order it had?

/ Josie
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Order of copied text

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Most probably the text-boxes in that PDF have been created in the sequence/order you see them when pasted.

You should be able to verify this by activating the Content pane (View > Panes > Content).
Click the white triangle(s) before the pages or text to expand.

You can grab text in the Content pane and move to the desired place and order, but there is still no guarantee that it will solve the problem.

If you first go into edit mode (Home-tab > Edit > "All Text" or "All Content") and then select and copy the text, it should be pasted in the same order as visually presented.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Josie,

Is it possible to send us one of the files with which you have this problem?

If the file contains any information that you do not want to be the other members of the forum, please send it to: support@pdf-xchange.com

Regards.
IronJosie
User

Post by IronJosie »

Thank you for the feedback. I cannot send the files, as they contain confidential data and when creating a file without anything confidential I am not able to reproduce the problem.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

If Tracker Support likes to have an example, here is a simple one.

Copy the text to Notepad and you will see it in the reverse order.

Notes:
1) My solution proposed here above in a previous post does not work.
"If you first go into edit mode (Home-tab > Edit > "All Text" or "All Content") and then select and copy the text, it should be pasted in the same order as visually presented."
2) Ad*be Acr*bat Reader also seems to struggle with this problem.

Best regards.
Attachments
Wrong text order.pdf
(6.85 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi all,

I apologize for my extremely late response but I never received a notification that there is a new post in this topic!

I was able to reproduce the reported problem, and also noticed one additional problem so that is why I forwarded the example file to our developers for further investigation.

Once the problem is resolved I will notify you.

Regards.
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

If you have your Windows set up to retain all clipboard entries via "Clipboard History" toggled to on, all your Ctrl-C savings will be retained in memory and you can paste them in whatever order suits you by going to Win+V hotkey and selecting the specific saved item for pasting.
All best,

FringePhil
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for the tip PHK.

Regards.