Create New Document From Clipboard

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

gmcmillan
User

Create New Document From Clipboard

Post by gmcmillan »

Hello,

When creating a new document from clipboard I have the option to either stretch the copied to clipboard image (or in my case screen grab) to a standard paper size or have the program "select paper size by image size" however in Adobe acrobat the create from clipboard functionality simply created a pdf that was the original resolution of the image. This is preferred so I don't get the stretched image appearance in the pdf. Is this possible?
image.png

image1.png
Slightly stretched pixely/grainy appearance due to picking the next paper size larger than the image resolution.
image2.png
Original Snip Resolution
image.png
Thanks!

Greg
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Create New Document From Clipboard

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Problem confirmed.

When the new document is created from the image in the clipboard, the page size of the PDF is slightly larger then when the new document is created by opening the image from file.

It is not clear to me what is exactly meant by "Select Paper Size by Image Size", in the Create New Document from Clipboard... > Options dialog-box. Does this mean:
- exactly the dimensions of the image or rather
- an existing page size that is closest to the dimensions of the image ?

Current work-around : instead of copying the content to the clipboard, try saving it to a new image-file. After this, open the image-file in PDF-XChange Editor, via File > Open or via a drag-and-drop from File Explorer to the PDF-XChange Editors' window.
gmcmillan
User

Post by gmcmillan »

Hello Willy,

Your drag and drop method worked perfectly. I appreciate the advice.

It would be nice if in a future version they could add the option to keep original image size to the create from create from clipboard command like Adobe Acrobat.

Thanks,

Greg
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, gmcmillan and Willy,

Willy to answer your questions, this function should use the exact dimensions of the image, as PDF is not constrained to the sizes commonly used in physical formats.

Also, regarding the quality of the output, If the image is a Jpeg (and in some cases PNG), it should be left in its original format and untouched, regardless of how it is inserted into the document, for other formats, the image will be converted to some degree and may see a slight degradation.

With that said, the degradation you are seeing there is caused by the default settings for image compression, by default we compress all images applied in this way to ~75% quality, instead of inserting them at full resolution. You can change this, or disable it, from the options:
image.png
Finally, you mentioned that the size is different, that would be caused by the applications you are viewing the image in, and not by the document or how we insert the image. As an example, your image, at 100% zoom with the default settings in the Editor, when created on my device does appear slightly larger than what you sent to us here on the forums. This is because, on my device, with my monitor and scaling settings, the Editor defaults to 96PPI, whereas apparently my web browser displays its content at 72ppi.

You can change the page display resolution that the Editor uses from the Page display settings, under the preferences (Ctrl_K):
image1.png
After I changed this setting, the image surely enough is exactly the same size as it appears in the browser.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Thanks Daniel for your answer.

You say "this function should use the exact dimensions of the image, as PDF is not constrained to the sizes commonly used in physical formats", but it does NOT at this moment, and that is just the problem mentioned by gmcmillan.

The page size of the PDF is slightly larger when you create the new document from the image in the clipboard then when you create it by opening the image from file (or via drag-and-drop onto the PDF-XChange Editors' window).

Following gmcmillan, Ad*be Acr*bat acts the correct way.

It would be nice if you could investigate this a little bit further.

Regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, Willy Van Nuffel

I appreciate the help, but I did investigate this quite extensively. The image which was provided is 406x146, which when created in the Editor from clipboard, both the page and image itself are exactly this size:
image.png
I explained in fair detail why it would visually, to the human eye, appear as if there was a difference between certain applications, based on a number of factors, from hardware to software.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:24 pm you mentioned that the size is different, that would be caused by the applications you are viewing the image in, and not by the document or how we insert the image. As an example, your image, at 100% zoom with the default settings in the Editor, when created on my device does appear slightly larger than what you sent to us here on the forums. This is because, on my device, with my monitor and scaling settings, the Editor defaults to 96PPI, whereas apparently my web browser displays its content at 72ppi.
But as you can see in the image above, the document created from the clipboard is identical to the image which has been saved to the desktop in size.
Similarly, dragging the image directly into the Editor creates an identical instance of the document (click to view Gif animation):
yfuomj3gEC.gif
As such, I cannot say I have found anything in this case which is being done incorrectly from our side and needs to be fixed as of yet.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hi Daniel,

Sorry to keep bugging you with this, but I was not talking about the "image resolution", that is indeed the same, but about the "page size" that is different. See the two PDF's in attachment (sorry for the publicity stamps).

Thanks for looking at this a last time. If you still do not see the problem, than let us close this case. It is going to cost you too much time and the work-around via drag-and-drop has been accepted by Greg.

Best regards.
Attachments
New document from image file.pdf
(24.35 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
New document from Clipboard.pdf
(12.68 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, Willy Van Nuffel

I am sorry, To be frank I do not know what you have done differently here, but if you look to my animated GIF above, I did specifically compare both the image resolution, and the page size of both instances, in all cases it was identical. Provided that you are using the same document, from the same source, the output will be the same.

I am unsure why you are seeing a difference (or why your documents have one at all), The only possibility that comes to mind (beyond getting the images from a different source) is that perhaps you are not using the default Windows clipboard, and that is impacting the content which we fetch from it?

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Thanks Daniel, once again.

I am afraid that we are not thinking about the same thing when we talk about "page size", because it is not visible in your GIF-animation.

For that reason I have added screenshots from both PDF's and also a copy of the image file that, when saved via a right-mouse-click and "Save image as..." from here above, results in a PNG with a resolution of 400 x 144 pixels.

I am using the default Windows clipboard.

Best regards.
Attachments
New document from image file.png
New document from Clipboard.png
image file.png
image file.png (29.59 KiB) Viewed 768 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, Willy Van Nuffel

You screenshot shows the size of the page in Millimeters, not points(aka pixels). That is why you are seeing a numerical difference there. The Properties pane, which I included, will show the exact same dimensions you show in that corner of the screen when the page thumbnail has been selected.

Please confirm that your options for the "Image from clipboard" function look like this:
image.png
image1.png
image2.png
Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com