Bug report: application freeze

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

eleigh
User

Bug report: application freeze

Post by eleigh »

To reproduce this bug:
  1. Export a PDF to Word
  2. In the Save As dialog window, drag a file into an existing folder
PDF-XChange then goes into an infinite loop, consuming 100% of one CPU's processing time.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Bug report: application freeze

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, eleigh

I am afraid that I cannot reproduce this issue. The "save as " dialog that we offer is specifically intended for saving the current document from the Editor, and should not allow you to drag files from other widows into the dialog at all (surely enough, nothing happens when I try this).

I suspect that you are either running an older build of the software, in which case I advise you update; or you may have a third party file explorer running which disrespects the dialog operations, in which case I would suggest that you either disable this or simply do not drag files into the save as dialog.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
eleigh
User

Post by eleigh »

I'm using PDF-XChange v9.0 build 352.0 on Windows 10 (latest update).

The freeze does not happen when using the 'Save as' function (I tested that before I reported the bug). It occurs when using the 'Export to Microsoft Word document' function. In the file open/save dialog window, the user has access to many of the same functions that are available in Windows Explorer (drag, rename, right-click, etc). If I drag a file into a folder, all within the file save dialog, the folder highlights and PDF-XChange hangs permanently, taking up ~25% of the activity on a 4-cpu processor.

I can reproduce this bug every time, with different PDF documents open. It may be an unusual action, to drag a file into a folder within the file open/save dialog, but it certainly should not cause PDF-XChange to hang irretrievably.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi eleigh

I have reproduced this and sent the associated memory dump to the development team for analysis.

Thanks you for bringing this to our attention. We will post here with the results of the investigation.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com