Converting polygon to area possible?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MJLM
User

Converting polygon to area possible?

Post by MJLM »

Hello,

would it be possible to convert a rectangle or a closed polygon to an area feature so that I can quickly calculate the area of irregular shapes?

Thank you.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Converting polygon to area possible?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, MJLM

We currently offer the ability to convert lines to a Distance measure, and polygon lines to a perimeter measure. currently we do not yet offer the ability to convert a polygon object to an area measure, but it is something that is being worked on in the future.
the convert tools currently are hidden, but you can find them and place them on your toolbars in a position of your choosing by using the quick launch search bar:
image.png
image.png (24.06 KiB) Viewed 734 times
Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
MJLM
User

Post by MJLM »

Daniel,

thank you very much for your response and letting me know. It would be a great feature to add as we often do not get dwg files to accurately measure what we want and often "stuck" with information through a pdf only.

By the way, I am aware of the convert features you mentioned but I got to say, it took me quite a while before finding them. Maybe they are a bit too obscure.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, MJLM

It seems they are relatively new additions, and were intended to be implemented in a set of 3, so while these first two were completed, it went undocumented since we were still working on the last one. Now, after discussing with the Devs a bit further, it appears that this was because we are considering merging them into a single "convert to measurement" tool, which will dynamically select the appropriate function for the object type you have selected. This should be added to the comment pane, in the measurement section, or somewhere nearby when it is finally complete.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
TheHipshaker
User

Post by TheHipshaker »

Hello there,
is there any current information on this subject?

Also, I would like to know whether there will be a way to select content paths and convert them to measurements. So I don't have to create lines/polylines/areas but simply select the given rectangle/shape? Maybe not directly convert the path, but create a measurement in its place...?

That would be a powerful addition and would make any quantity takeoff off pdf plans much easier.

Thank you very much!

Kind Regards,
Chris
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, TheHipshaker

Conversion of existing comments is already implemented and can be found in the right click context menu when appropriate items are selected.
image.png
At the moment, we do not have any set plans to allow this for shapes or other non-comment objects, but it may be considered in the future.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
TheHipshaker
User

Post by TheHipshaker »

Hi Daniel,
thanks for the heads up!

My organisation is yet to update to 9.1. Now I'm looking forward to updating even more ;)
(currently we're on Version: 9.0, build 352.0)

One question remains though: Are rectangles appropriate items as well? Most of the areas we measure are rectangles and that way two clicks would suffice for one area.

Thanks again!

Kind regards,
Chris
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, TheHipshaker

Currently rectangles cannot be converted, but I expect that is coming in a future update.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com