protect form fields but allow physical signature

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Frank.W
User

Post by Frank.W »

Windows 10 Pro 1909
PDF-xchange Editor plus version 9.0 build 352.0

Hi there,
I have created a pdf with form fields. I would like others to fill out the form and to place their physical signature at the end of the document (NOT a digital).

Of course, I want to protect the document that users are prevented to move form fields around or change things in general. I went to the Password Security Settings and enabled the checkbox "Restrict editing and printing. A password is required....".
Under "Permissions" I can now choose from five different levels of protection (Not Allowed; Inserting, deleting and rotating; Filling form fields ...; Commenting, filling form fields...; Any except extracting pages) but non of them works to my satisfaction.
Only the last of these options allow me to place a physical signature but at the same time form fields can be moved around.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help.
Frank
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: protect form fields but allow physical signature

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hi Frank,

Did you put a password on your document and then saved and closed it, before running a test ?

See a screenshot of my settings and a test form (pdf) in attachment.

Normally you should not be able to edit my form except if you guess/know the password (TEST) and remove it.

Regards.
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - Protect Form.png
TEST FORM.pdf
(14.15 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Frank.W
User

Post by Frank.W »

Hi Willy,

thanks for your reply.

I see your point, you created a form field as a picture box for users to insert their signature using a picture file. That would be a way around.

I was wondering though, if there is a way I can just drag my signature that I have already saved under "signature and initials" into the document. But that seems not to work in any protected document?! Or am I wrong?

Cheers,
Frank
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hi Frank,

You are right: it seems to not be possible to insert a signature from "Signatures and initials" when the form is protected.

@Tracker Support
Is this something worth to consider?

Thanks and best regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Willy Van Nuffel

Unfortunately it would not work, the "signatures and initials" tool is directly base content manipulation, not simply commenting like the "stamp" tool is, so if the security prevents content editing, this function would not be usable.
As an alternative, those filling the form could place a "stamp" with their signature in it, so long as "commenting" is allowed according to the document security.

Beyond that, the best option here would be to use a "signature field" which accepts a digital signature, including a "logo" (aka. signature image). If multiple people need to sign the file, simply place multiple signature fields ahead of time, and you should be good to go.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Frank.W
User

Post by Frank.W »

Thanks again for all your help.
I will now either instruct people to use a stamp with their signature or include an 'insert picture' frame as signature field.

From my side this issue is sufficiently solved, thanks.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

:)