Reset form doesn't clear images

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

petepuma01
User

Post by petepuma01 »

We have created a form by adding a few text boxes and an image field. We add text to the fields and an image to the image field. When we click the Reset Form button, the text fields get cleared but the image remains in the field. I do not see a way to remove the image.

Is this expected behavior or a defect?

Also, you can access the properties pane of text fields when you are no longer in the forms mode. However, you cannot do so with the image field-- you must click Select Fields first.

version 9 build 352
petepuma01
User

Re: Reset form doesn't clear images

Post by petepuma01 »

I tested this in Acrobat-- it doesn't look like their Clear Form tool removes images either. However, you can select the image form field and it will give you an option to clear the image-- I cannot find a similar feature in PDFX.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, petepuma01

"image" fields, are technically just modified "button" fields with pre-existing javascript. this JS allows the form filler to change the predefined "background" of the "button". As this is not a true form filling feature, the "reset form" button does not affect it. As for removing the image, we do offer this function, but it is a "field editing" function, and thus not present when you are filling the field (as it would require a license for the "Editor plus").

To do this, you simply need to use the "select fields" tool on the form tab (with an editor plus license of course) and select the "image field (button)". With this selected, open the properties pane (Ctrl+~) and use the "up icon" function in the options category to edit the image:
image.png
Then you will see the "remove icon" button presented.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
petepuma01
User

Post by petepuma01 »

Thank you. Are you saying that with Editor Plus that there is a more direct way to remove the image versus using the property option?

I do have PDF XChange Pro (OCR) which should include the Editor Plus features.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

I just understand that you can only remove the image when you have PDF-XChange Editor Plus (the version that includes the create fillable 'Forms'-feature) and then using the "Up Icon"-property to have the "Remove Icon" possibility.
There is no other way to do this with PDF-XChange Editor Plus.

So, people that only have a PDF-viewer will not be able to clear the image/icon field once it has been filled and saved.
They can only replace the existing image with another one.

That is what I am understanding.

Kind regards.

EDIT: I just found some interesting information about this:
http://khkonsulting.com/2017/03/clear-image-field-pdf-form-acrobats-javascript/

An example PDF is available via a hyperlink at the end of that thread (above the responses):
http://khkonsulting.com/files/blog/resetImageButton.pdf
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Willy Van Nuffel,

Thanks for the clarification! Indeed that is what is meant!

@petepuma01 - yes your Pro license does allow you to use the Editor Plus features - including those needed to be able to modify form fields.

Kind regards,
Stefan
petepuma01
User

Post by petepuma01 »

Thank you to both of you!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)