strange result while copy and paste text with german umlauts from certain pdfs

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

peter_altherr
User

strange result while copy and paste text with german umlauts from certain pdfs

Post by peter_altherr »

even with newest version 9.0.352 i get strange results with certain pdfs when i copy and paste text from pdf to a text editor no matter which one (word, writer, notepad, notepad++).

here an example:

Unterst¨
utzung

which is supposed to appaer as Unterstützung.

by the way, when i open those pdfs in acrobat reader and do the same copy and paste it appears as expected. so my guess is, there is some kind of misinterpretation of character enconding in pdf xchange viewer.
Last edited by peter_altherr on Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:19 am, edited 6 times in total.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: strange result while copy and paste text with german umlauts from certain pdfs

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, peter altherr

To clarify, you mention you have Version 9, build 352.0 installed, then go on to say you are using the "PDF-XChange Viewer" (which was discontinued in version 2.5), can I ask you to please confirm that you are indeed using the latest "PDF-XChange Editor" and not a previous version of the viewer when you encounter this issue?

Following that, If you are using the Editor, please open the preferences (Ctrl_K) and toggle the "preserve original ligatures" option under "page text" to to opposite of its current selection.
image.png
Then try copying the text once more and let me know if it helps.

If it does not, please send us a copy of this document so we can take a close look.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
peter_altherr
User

Re: strange result while copy and paste text with german umlauts from certain pdfs

Post by peter_altherr »

hi daniel,

sorry for causing confusion. it is all about pdf xchange editor. my brain was thinking editor while my fingers wrote viewer :)

thanks for the hint in settings. the option "preserve original ligatures" was checked originally. i unchecked the box and tried again, but no change. i still get this:

Unterst

¨

utzung

regards
peter
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello peter altherr,

Can we have a copy of one such problematic file (one page should also be enough)? If the file is sensitive, and you do not have a more generic sample to provide - you can e-mail us the samples to support@pdf-xchange.com with a link back to this forum topic. Once we have the file - we would be happy to take a look and see why this is happening.

Kind regards,
Stefan
peter_altherr
User

Post by peter_altherr »

hello stefan,

i have sent a sample pdf to support@pdf-xchange.com. thanks for taking care.

best regards
peter
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello peter altherr,

Thanks for the sample file!
The issue is with how the text was actually represented in it - and I've given you more details in the e-mail reply!

Kind regards,
Stefan
peter_altherr
User

Post by peter_altherr »

hello stefan,

i got your reply. thanks for the explanation. i do not want to push things. good to know, your developers are working on it. and it is done when it's done :) no deadline needed.

best regards
peter