Cannot paste base text content including formatting

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Chris - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Paul - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software

David.P
User

Cannot paste base text content including formatting

Post by David.P » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:02 pm

I ran into this issue again, as mentioned here earlier:

https://forum.tracker-software.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=35338&hilit=paste+pure#post_content146911:~:text=documents%20lose%20the%20ability%20to%20paste%20copied%20base%20contents%20properly

If I select and copy the text and the logo in the attached document (with the "Edit Contents" tool), then text and logo can be pasted in their original format including any text formatting.

However, if I copy only the text block (again using the "Edit Contents" tool), and then try and paste it, it is only available as plain text, and the formatting is lost. In this case, "Paste as Contents" is not available in the context menu for some reason, only "Paste as Plain Text".

This issue seems to survive a restart of the Editor. It even happens in the same way with the Editor in version 8 or 7.

Thanks for looking into what the problem might be with this.

Best regards
David

some RTF text and a bitmap.pdf
(43.07 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro

TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Cannot paste base text content including formatting

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:45 pm

Hi, David.P

I think there may be a misinterpretation going on here. The issue is resolved, but what can be pasted is based on what has been copied. In this case, there are two different ways to go about copying the text in question.

If you want the container to be copied (and thus the actual box which acts as a guide to help the text formatting) you need to ensure that you only click once on the text box, to select the box itself for copying (then ctrl+C or r-click > copy, whichever is preferred). If you do this, then upon pasting as "Rich text", the formatting and the container will be pasted as expected.
This is what happens by default when you are marquee selecting the content, including the image, and why that method works as you expect.

If instead you double click, to enter the container for text editing, and select the text itself to be copied, there is no "container" object being copied, and thus while the "formatting" can be retained, there is nothing specifying bounds, edges, etc. So pasting as "rich text" would only retain the font/font size of the text, not the visual layout of it. Likewise, pasting as "plain text" in this situation would not result in a large difference (but it is still slight different).
This is most likely what you have done to cause/reproduce the "issue" you are reporting here. In short, its a feature, not a bug!

Please ensure that when you copy content you want to past somewhere else, you are copying the correct aspects of the content.

Kind regards,
Daniel McIntyre
Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

Support: <Support@tracker-software.com>
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623

David.P
User

Post by David.P » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:00 pm

Thanks Daniel for your reply,

however, I have always made sure to select the text container, either by clicking on its bounding rectangle, or by dragging a selection rectangle over it, using the "Edit Content" tool in all cases.

Still, the text can only be pasted as pure text.

Can you paste that text (and only the text without the bitmap) as rich text at your end?

Thank you,
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro

TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:20 pm

Hi, David.P

Indeed I could paste that text without issue, do note that, like with numerous other features, we remember the last used pasting method and use it preferentially. So if you specifically chose to paste as plain text, and then used Ctrl+V it would be expected to continue pasting as plain text. Another right click to choose rich text should resolve that, and in my initial tests I had no issues at all with this.

However, while attempting to record a GIF showcasing what i was seeing, something changed, and I managed to reproduce the issue in the current session. I still cannot manage to get it to stay "stuck" after closing the application, and a simple restart seems to resolve the issue on my end when it occurs, but I have created a new ticket so we can revisit this issue.

RT#5510: Paste as "plain text" breaks "contents" items

My apologies for the trouble here, Hopefully we can see this resolved shortly.

Kind regards,
Daniel McIntyre
Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

Support: <Support@tracker-software.com>
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623