Italic not shown in annotations unless they're currently being edited  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

DIV
User

Italic not shown in annotations unless they're currently being edited

Post by DIV »

A peculiar glitch/characteristic I have noticed is that for particular fonts the italic that is set in a Typewriter Text object is only rendered as italic while that annotation is being edited*. If the annotation is not being edited (even if it's selected), the text displays as roman.

* Note: technically the annotation might not be editable if the file is marked as PDF/A, but even so it is still possible to click into the object so that it is rendered as if it is being edited.

This is with version 9 of Editor (and also version 7), and I have noticed it with three printed-handwriting-style fonts:
Segoe Print
Segoe Script
xkcd script

But on the other hand the problem doesn't happen with Comic Sans, nor with Segoe UI.

See sample file, attached.
20210213_PDF-XChange_defectiveItalic.pdf
(224.92 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
—DIV
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Italic not shown in annotations unless they're currently being edited

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello DIV,

I do not have all the fonts you used (namely the xkcd Script) - so when I try to edit your sample - I get that line reverted to Arial. But otherwise - all the others seem to be keeping their formatting:
image.png
And here is what I see when I double click to start Editing the sample:
image.png
I am not sure if this is the correct or incorrect behaviour - so can you please show me some screenshots from your end so that I can better understand what you are trying to achieve?

Kind regards,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

It is the word "really" in every sentence that is in italic and that should be shown as such (even when not in Edit mode).

At my end, this problem is reproduceable for the fonts Segoe Print and Segoe Script (with PDF-XChange Editor V9.0.352.0).
The third font reverts to Arial and so the italic is correctly shown.

Kind regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Willy Van Nuffel,

Thanks for checking at your end and for pointing out to where I should be looking at.
Now I see the issue - but I think this is related to the fact that there is no Segoe Print/Script Italic. The below image is from my C:\Windows\Fonts folder after I click on Segoe Script, but the same is true for Segoe Print:
image.png
image.png (14.91 KiB) Viewed 1843 times
So I presume with "Segoe Script Italic" missing - the Editor can not display the Italic version of the font correctly. I am not sure why it does italicise it while Editing the text - and I will ask our devs for that, but the issue with the display once you are out of Editing mode is likely due to the fact that these fonts don't really have an italic version.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Thanks Stefan for the reply.

It is a little bit strange that italic for the Segoe fonts is correctly supported in base content text, but not in comments.

Ad*be Reader does not even seem to offer options for italic, bold, underscore, strikethrough or even different fonts in text comments. Maybe not conform to the PDF standards ? No idea.

Best regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Willy Van Nuffel, DIV,

I have spoken with a colleague in the Dev team, and they told me that we have "Italics simulation" code - so for fonts like Segoe Print which do not have an italic version in Windows - we could still show an italic version of the same. However it seems like that is working while you are in annotation edit mode, but not the same way when you stop editing the annotation. I am going to pass this now to the dev working on this simulation code, and we will see if this behaviour can be improved!

We have also created a ticket for this issue:
#5484: Italics Simulation does not work correctly for annotations.

Kind regards,
Stefan
DIV
User

Post by DIV »

Thanks for the extra information.
Sorry if the original issue wasn't highlighted clearly in the sample, Stefan, and thank-you for helping to clarify it, Willy.

Actually, I believe I had embedded the font "xkcd Script" in the PDF file, and saved it in PDF/A format. So I'm surprised that text didn't render correctly when editing, but was instead displayed as Arial. Maybe because it was only a subset that was embedded??
FYI, "xkcd Script" is freely available: https://github.com/ipython/xkcd-font

—DIV
DIV
User

Post by DIV »

Based upon the diagnosis, it is not too hard to find other fonts where the same issue is confirmed to occur, including Papyrus.

—DIV
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello DIV,

Yes - if the font does not have an Italic or Bold Italic version in Windows - we will try to emulate that, and given that there appears to be some issues with the said emulation - you will easily reproduce the problem with other similar fonts. This is being worked on, and for the time being please try to use fonts that do have proper italic and bold italic variants installed for you in Windows.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Italic not shown in annotations unless they're currently being edited  SOLVED

Hello all,

Just a quick note that ticket 5484 is now resolved, and the fix will be in build 353 due for release soon (next week).

Kind regards,
Stefan
DIV
User

Post by DIV »

Thanks for the update, Stefan!
DIV
User

Post by DIV »

Italic simulation confirmed working for both regular and bold text.

Sample:
image.png
—DIV
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello DIV,

Glad to hear that!

Kind regards,
Stefan