Digital Signature Invalid provider type specified

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bollen
User

Digital Signature Invalid provider type specified

Post by bollen »

I work for a rather big place where we have around 1000 employed people using PDF-XChange which works great! However,
there are times when it is not working as planned. Biggest issue right now is when people try to digital sign pdf documents.

For some people it works, for some it doesn't. It's a coin flip at this point if it will work or not.

When people sign their documents, they often get the nondescriptive error, at least for me, that says.

The signature placedment failed
Error [System]: Invalid provider type specified.

XChange version 8
Signature file is a .pfx certificate.
I've tried different pdfs, same pdfs, and it works for me and other people, but for some they just get the error below.
Right now as a workaround, people need to have Acrobat Reader(Works fine) to sign their pdf files and use Xchange when editing pdf files.
xchangebug.JPG
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Digital Signature Invalid provider type specified

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Important to know: Is it PC-related, User-related or specific Digital Signature related?
I suppose all PC's have the same build of PDF-XChange Editor ?

If a user, having problems to sign a PDF on its own PC, logs on to a PC owned by a user that has no problems, can he/she correctly sign a PDF with his/her own digital signature ?

Best regards.
bollen
User

Post by bollen »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:18 am Important to know: Is it PC-related, User-related or specific Digital Signature related?
I suppose all PC's have the same build of PDF-XChange Editor ?

If a user, having problems to sign a PDF on its own PC, logs on to a PC owned by a user that has no problems, can he/she correctly sign a PDF with his/her own digital signature ?

Best regards.
All is running same version of XChange. And I just tried that a user can use his digital signature fine on another users working PC.

This is good and thank you for the reply. Keep more tips rolling in.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

So, it seems to be PC-related.

Still some ideas, but not sure where the problem comes from:
- compare the settings in File/Edit > Preferences > Signatures, between a working PC and a non-working PC
- compare between two PC's, where the personal certificates are stored in Manage User Certificates (maybe there are still one or more 'old' certificates present)
- does it make a difference whether the user selects a signature from the System Store or from a File ?

Best regards.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello,

Sometimes Windows updates are messing up the access rights to some folders ( including the TEMP ), so could you please try to access the file from another disk drive, and also try to start the PDF Ediotr's EXE file with admin rights ( Run As Admin ).

Regards.