Updating cache when pages are deleted

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kai_jh
User

Updating cache when pages are deleted

Post by kai_jh »

I experience the following behavior which I deem as not optimal, unsure though whether I would consider it a bug:
When I have a large PDF file open and scroll through pages, PDFXChangeEditor apparently builds a page cache of some sort. Let's assume the PDF has 100 pages, when I reach the end, I delete pages 51-70 and jump to page 50 now. When I now advance to the next slide (new 51, old 71) , PDFXChangeEditor does display the old page 51 (that was deleted) for a brief moment before it shows the correct new page 51. This appears to come from some sort of cache. It is difficult for me to track this down further, whether e.g. redactions would have the same effect - it is a confidentiality issue to some degree. Let's say I am sharing my screen on a recorded Video-Conference then the content that should not be there anymore (as deleted) is displayed and recorded which is not obvious to the user.
Any comment or explanation, or fix would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kai
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Updating cache when pages are deleted

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Kai,

I believe you are right that it is just a caches "prerender" of those pages. My suggestion would be to close the document and open it again after having removed this content. That would force the cache to be be removes from the temp folder and then your shared screen would not show this.

Now I believe this is the case, I did not test it. Maybe you want to confirm this works as expected?

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
kai_jh
User

Post by kai_jh »

Paul,
that is correct, a workaround that is not really user friendly but addresses the issue. Maybe this is a item for the future improvement list, to clear that prerender-cache on page spanning actions like delete, insert, split etc.
Regards
Kai
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Kai,

thanks for confirming that tis work around, well, works...

I will bring this it the development team for comment.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com