"Redo" to recreate a deleted layer does not seem to work properly

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Timur Born
User

"Redo" to recreate a deleted layer does not seem to work properly

Post by Timur Born »

Steps to reproduce:

- Import a page as new layer over another page.
- Switch layer off/on = works.

- Delete layers.
- Redo.
- Switch layer off/on = does not work.
Timur Born
User

Re: "Redo" to recreate a deleted layer does not seem to work properly

Post by Timur Born »

Sorry, but the "Delete Layers" part was wrong, I meant "Undo layer creation" then "Redo".
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Found another related bug. When I try to delete the newly imported layer it remains visible (and unswitchable) despite its entry being deleted from the layer panel.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Timur,

Thank you for your detailed report.

I was able to reproduce both bugs at my end, so I will create a Bug report in our internal ticket system about these issues.

When there is development on this issue we will contact you again.

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we are doing our best to solve the problem in the shortest possible time.

Regards.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

No hurry from my side. I only stumbled across the bug when I tried workaround for the other thread. I don't currently need layers myself.
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Timur Born wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:43 pm Found another related bug. When I try to delete the newly imported layer it remains visible (and unswitchable) despite its entry being deleted from the layer panel.
Hello Timur,

This is not a bug - when you remove a layer from the layers pane, the content and annotations that use it are not being removed.
If you want to remove the associated content and comments - then switch off the layer, select it and use Flatten Selected Layers command:
image.png
Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards.
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

What is the rationale behind this procedure? In any other software that works with layers you delete the content of a layer when you delete its layer.
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello Timur Born,

Layers in PDF are not the same as in drawing software. What they do is give a user a possibility to modify Optional Content Groups that really do all of the work.
When removing the layer from a tree, what is being done is that only the Order element( that allows modifying the associated Optional Content Group (OCG) state) is being removed from the Layers tree but not the OCG itself.
Also, content does not have any property for OCG - the OCG is a container that wraps all of the content inside it and gives a possibility to do all of the showing/hiding logic.
image.png
image1.png
Even if the layer was just deleted in the hidden state - content won't cease to exist - it will still be there but with OCG state switched to hidden.
To permanently remove all of the hidden items the OCG Flattening should be done. Then everything that is visible will remain visible (without the OCG wrapper anymore) and what was hidden will be removed.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Should it not be possible to allow a content delete function for layer based content, just as a layer allows to hide/show content based on said layer? This would be a 2nd delete option "Delete layer + content". Since the whole point of using layers is to group content by said layer logic it would make sense to offer layer based operations other than hide/show as well. This would save us from having to use several steps (hide + delete + flatten) to achieve a single result (delete layer based content).
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Timur,

I can see the usefulness of this. Given that layers in a pdf do not function the way that layer do in other software, I think myself that combining the two functions is what people expect to see.

I have raised a formal feature request around this, and while internal only, referring to RT#5465: Feature Request :: Editor :: Delete Layer and associated contents here will enable any support staff member to get a status update on the request.

Note that this is a request only at this point, it will ultimately be at the dev teams discretion as to whether this is implemented or not.

I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Timur,

the ticket RT#5465: Feature Request :: Editor :: Delete Layer and associated contents was set to "Resolved" today, this means the works is done and the changes will be available in the next build.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Thumbs up
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin