OCR & portable installation

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Puffolino
User

OCR & portable installation

Post by Puffolino »

Hi,

tried to install the all new version 9 of PDF Tools pro but was not successfully in all details...
* the editor starts fine (but only the standard version, the the low res version does nothing)
* I was not asked for a new license, but when I pasted my key, averything seems to be okay (valid license)
*anyhow there's no OCR available now (not a simple one, not an enhanced), the menu is grayed out

Update - reinstalled evrything again, but now I've started the PDF Tools which asked me for validating the license and now OCR seems to work within the PDF Editor 8)

Had not a lot of time for testing, just some points I am not sure about...
* the low-res version does load but no window is seen and the program closes after a second or so
* most of the main menu entries (File, Edit, View, Document,...) could be customized by choosing icon and/or text (only Bookmarks has no "Show Icon" option), but only the Sharepoint has an icon for now
* even I am using the program in portable mode, some directories are created in the C:\User\...\AppData\Roaming directory - not sure, if these things are needed :roll:
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: OCR & portable installation

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Puffolino

First, I am glad to see that you managed to get it installed and working. But we do not have a product called "PDF Tools pro" the PDF-XChange PRO bundle includes PDF-tools as one of its bundled applications, and PDF-tools is its own application, which includes the base level Editor.

Now to begin I must ask, what is this "low res" version you speak of, we do not offer a "low res" version of any of our software. Do you mean the "compatibility mode" version of the Editor (its exe is named PDFXEdit_low.exe)? If so, this is simply a variant of the 64-bit editor which is locked in its memory allocation to more easily facilitate communication with 32-bit device drivers (scanners/printers). I am unsure why it would be crashing, but that is a concern. If possible, could you please follow the steps here to setup crash logging, and then email us with the results (to keep that conversation clean and separate from the rest).

Now, looking at the other questions, once again, you have lost me. I do not believe we have ever offered options to customize and add icons to the menu bar items (file, edit, etc) though you could possibly place some tools directly on that toolbar. As such I am not certain what you mean to say is happening. Could I ask you for screenshots of this issue?

Finally, regarding the portable, it should not be creating extraneous files, the only time this would occur is if you have deleted the "portable.dat" and other files necessary to inform the executable that is is running in portable mode. We have just tested and confirmed this on multiple devices here and cannot reproduce the behavior you have reported. If you are experiencing this issue, I would probably recommend removing your current portable files, and downloading new ones.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Hi Daniel,

sorry for producing some mess. I'm doing as best I can :wink:

I've the XChange pro bundle, not the Tools pro - sorry for that type. The editor did never ask for validating my license (and was happy with the old one (stored in the settings.dat?). The Tools program asked to do so, however.

The "low" thing is what you stated - I was thinking it would be a version for low res screens. I will do the dump things when I'll have a little bit more time...
...actually I did something more simple check, I've created a batch file "test.cmd" which contains the following lines:

Code: Select all

"PDFXEdit_low.exe"
echo %Errorlevel%
When executing the batch file, it displays the errorlevel = -1073740791, maybe this could be a hint what's going on.

Next point, nect confusion - sorry again for that. I am wondering why the Sharepoint menu is able to get an icon (classic UI) but not some other menus as well? And why the "Bookmarks" do not have an "Show Icon" option. Maybe it is a little bit more clear when showing the following screen shots:
image.png
image1.png
The portable issue isn't an issue anymore (or at least today), some days before I checked it multiple times by removing/renaming the directories, restarting the program and new (empty) subdirectories have been created under the Tracker Software path. Will observe that, but maybe I did something wrong in the background.

Hope, everything is a little bit more clear... :idea:

Cheers.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Puffolino

Sorry for the long delay, I am not certain on why there is a difference in behaviour between Srarepoint and bookmarks regarding icons, but rest assured that there is some reason for it. My guess is that sharepoint needed to be more fully intergrated into the base application to work in full, so its implementation allows more control compared to the bookmarks plugin, which is very "loosely" attached.

Now, it has been quite a while since this was reported. I am unsure if we carried on by email back when this was originally reported, but I would like to followup on the crash you mentioned. I will be closing this topic now, and asking that we do continue by email if the issue is still present. If it is not, you can ignore this post and leave things as they are. If the issue is again present, please do collect the crash dump we requested earlier (from the latest build, 9.2.358.0) and send that to us via email with a link to this post.

Our email address is support@pdf-xchange.com

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com