V9 Command Line Install / Licensing

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

rah
User

V9 Command Line Install / Licensing

Post by rah »

I have been installing/upgrading PDF-XChange for years using a command line script. In particular, the license file was used so an activation process was not necessary.

I couldn't find any reference to a command line install for v9 on the Tracker website. How will command line installs work with the new licensing?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: V9 Command Line Install / Licensing

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi rah,

We have a new version of the XCVault.exe utility that can be used to perform a silent activation of installed licenses. It must be run in the user context so as to apply to a user. It cannot be used on a per machine basis.

Attached is a PDF file with the commands detailed. This new version will be in tomorrow's build. Email support@pdf-xchange.com if you need it today.

Also in tomorrow's build we will include support for an Active Directory Administrative Template that can be used to set a policy for the software to automatically activate on start up when a key is detected that requires activation.

Both methods are silent.

I hope that helps.
xcvault_final_cmds.pdf
(6.29 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Attachments
xcvault_final_cmds.pdf
(6.29 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Hi, all.

I successfully installed V9 on my main PC but it fails to install on my laptop. I get a message "request for administrative rights rejected." I have no idea what that means or how I should proceed. Advice?

Follow-up next morning: I again tried to install V9 on my laptop and, of course, it installed fine. Other than the passage of time, I have no idea what else has changed. Thanks! I like the changes I've seen so far...
Last edited by PHK on Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All best,

FringePhil
cglascock
User

Post by cglascock »

I'm watching for the new build being released today to hopefully deal with the fact that numerous users are reporting activation messages across our workstations/terminal server environment, but given that users log into one of our many shared servers day-to-day, should I be worried that it's entirely possible for a user to activate on one of our 15 servers, depending on which node they are accessing (our servers are load-balanced)?

The machine-based activation was much easier for us and while the messages are all that we are up against currently, I worry that this will be more impactful down the road if our license count becomes a problem.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Carter,

I know we have had email about this but I thought I would post here anyway for the benefit of others.

Terminal Server farms offer a unique challenge to activations as they tie a license to specific hardware. We are in the process right now of deciding how this should work and hopefully will have an answer for you very soon.

In the meanwhile you should not see any activation issues, but definitely let us know if you do!

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

We have introduced two mechanisms for silently activating users, a Group Policy, and a command line.

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... ivate-keys

Activation is separate from installation of the software with a license. Software installation must be run with elevated rights, Activation must be done per user and from within a user session.

Holders of multi-user licenses, 50 or more users should contact support@pdf-xchange.com for options specific to their license.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke