Save as Optimized changed in Version 9

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kathleenjaynes
User

Save as Optimized changed in Version 9

Post by kathleenjaynes »

In version 8, if I had a 30 MB document, I could optimize and reduce the PDF to 8-10 MBs. I just downloaded Version 9, and 30 MB only reduced to 28 MB. What happened? I need to optimize to a smaller PDF.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Save as Optimized changed in Version 9

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, kathleenjaynes

Could I ask you to please send us a copy of some documents you are seeing this issue with so we can run a few tests and see what the cause could be?

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I optimized my electric bill with v8 and v9. Used the same settings in both programs. The difference in optimized file sizes is pretty big for the TECO bill (see below). Since they contain my personal info I have not attached them. I can email them over to Support if need be.

I have attached a publicly available file along with the v9 & v8 optimized versions. The original file is 1.32 mb, the v9 optimized file is 176 kb and the v8 optimized file is 102 kb. The difference in sizes is not as dramatic, but still big on a percentage basis.

Included in the zip file is Arnold 2021.presets which are the optimization settings used in both versions.

Thanks.
2021-01-19 23_13_01-C__Users_mrskkrey_Documents_Downloads - FreeCommander XE.png
2021-01-19 23_13_01-C__Users_mrskkrey_Documents_Downloads - FreeCommander XE.png (3.3 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
Optimizations.zip
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 39 times
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Here is a bigger pdf file I compared optimized v9 and v8 files with using same settings from last post. The annual report can be downloaded from -

https://investor.knight-swift.com/financials/annual-reports/default.aspx

2021-01-20 01_58_12-C__Users_mrskkrey_Documents_Downloads - FreeCommander XE.png
2021-01-20 01_58_12-C__Users_mrskkrey_Documents_Downloads - FreeCommander XE.png (3.72 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Re: TECO electric bill I referenced in earlier post. Version 8 Optimization reduces the size of the attached biggest graphic from 281 kb to 33 kb. There seems to be no size reduction at all using Version 9 Optimization, as far as I can tell.

Used Arnold 2021 presets in both programs. v8 works great as my goal with a bill or invoice is just very small size. Files and presets attached. Build 343.0 and 351.0.

This could explain why the v8 optimized pdf from a graphics laden 22 mg original is half the size of the v9 optimized file. See last post.

Thanks.

Downloads.zip
(586.52 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, everyone

Thankyou very much for the files and comparisons here. We also received samples from a few other users by email and the Dev team is currently working on a solution to this issue. At the moment it seems that V9 is experiencing issues detecting the DPI of existing images during the process, which prevents it from even attempting to optimize some of them in the first place. When optimization does occur as expected, the output result is indeed as intended and identical to V8.

For reference, this is the ticket which has been created on the topic:
RT#5438: Save as optimized not optimizing images

Hopefully we will have a resolution for this in one of the next builds, but at the moment I cannot offer a timeline.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I feared it would not be a quick fix. I use optimization quite a bit so may have to move back to v8.

One other thing I noticed. My TECO invoice mentioned previously has color graphics in it. If I lower the down sampling dpi by just 1 from 150 to 149, it results in a file comparable to the size v8 produces. See below. Maybe just because of the file/graphic characteristics. Just seems odd.

v9 - down sampling to 150 dpi - resulting file is 580 kb
v9 - down sampling to 149 dpi - resulting file is 129 kb
v8 - down sampling to 150 dpi - resulting file is 130 kb

2021-01-22 20_05_01-Optimize PDF.png
2021-01-22 20_05_01-Optimize PDF.png (4.28 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
kathleenjaynes
User

Post by kathleenjaynes »

Arnold, I also use optimization frequently for business as I need to send large pdf attachments to emails, so until the optimization gets fixed, I've started using ilovepdf.com to compress the pdf; no charge. An extra step to optimize this way, but it's a must until pdf xchange is fixed. How do I go back to Version 8? Maybe that's a better option to using an outside service.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I installed version 8 portable. I have had both versions on this computer so I could jump between them easily to compare results. That might be the easiest way to use version 8 until version 9 is fixed.

Your settings from version 8 should now be your settings for version 9. You can back up those settings and import them into the portable version. Just use File -> Manage Settings -> Export in v9 and choose where you want them to go. Then File -> Manage Settings -> Import in v8 portable to import them.

Once v9 is fixed you can just delete the directory where v8 portable is installed. I think installing version 8 over version 9 would work also as it installs in the same directory. I would still export your settings just in case.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, All

In addition to Arnold's reply above, you can find the V8 portable here: https://builds-archive.tracker-software ... rtable.zip

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
FLuser
User

Post by FLuser »

I attempted to test this; however, I cannot find the "Save As... Optimized" feature.

Does this require a plug-in or something special? I don't see the option under "File"; if I use "Save As", I don't have any way to select "Optimize" there, either.

Thank you in advance.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, FLuser

Sorry for the confusion, It is present in V8 and would definitely be in the portable. The option is under the "File", and is itself called "save as optimized":
image.png
image.png (10.55 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
I hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

"Save as Optimized" is a licensed feature in PDF-XChange Editor. So, it can also be missing from the menus when "Hide all licensed features from toolbars and menus" has been turned on in File/Edit > Preferences > Registration.

If this should be the case, then just turn it off and click OK.

Regards.
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - Hide licensed features.png
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, Willy Van Nuffel

Very Good point there willy, Sometimes I forget about that function!

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com