Privacy statement for new V9 activation system

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Markus Stamm
User

Privacy statement for new V9 activation system

Post by Markus Stamm »

Dear PDF-XChange support team,

could you please tell me where to find the privacy statement for the new V9 license activation system? I have read the license agreement documents bundled with the installer and the knowledgebase articles "New Licensing Implemented in V9" and "How do I Activate my License keys in V9" but have not been able to find any relevant information.

Thank you and kind regards,
Markus
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Privacy statement for new V9 activation system

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Markus Stamm

The only local information that is used during the activation process is the PC's "HOSTNAME" and the serial key you have provided along with an encryped "hash" of some machine identification details (specific to the device not you personally). Your PC connects to our server, provides the serial key so that we know what key to associate your device to, and that is that. Then you get a reply from the server saying "yes there is a free seat, you are activated", "you are already activated, carry on", or "no, all the seats for this key are used, you have been rejected".

That "HOSTNAME" is a commonly used environment variable within windows, and should not contain any proper personally identifying information (unless you explicitly specified personal information to be used, in a desktop variable which is known to be commonly shared quite openly).

As an example, my home computer's hostname would be "DEKSTOP-ih72...etc" (as I never changed it from the motherboard default), while my work PC is specifically setup to be named "DAN-PC" (again not personally identifying). It is useful only as an identifier to you personally, since it is effectively the name of the machine in question.

As such, no personal information is used.

Kind regards,

EDIT: As an addendum to my previous statement, The Development team leader has just informed me that we will be updating some of our agreements to clearly detail how this system works and hopefully ease any concerns you may have.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com