PDF Preview in WIndows explorer - option to have text selection tool by default instead of hand tool ?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

cabinet de psychiatrie
User

PDF Preview in WIndows explorer - option to have text selection tool by default instead of hand tool ?

Post by cabinet de psychiatrie »

I?m a very happy user of pdf xchangepro. However, i'm struggling to have text selection tool by default in windows explorer, instead of hand selection tool.

How can I do ?
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: PDF Preview in WIndows explorer - option to have text selection tool by default instead of hand tool ?

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hi,

Normally you should be able to set your preferred choice in PDF-XChange Editor via File/Edit > Preferences > Tools.

Best regards.
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - Select Text Tool.png
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF Preview in WIndows explorer - option to have text selection tool by default instead of hand tool ?

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the help Willy.

Indeed, this is the setting he needs.
cabinet de psychiatrie
User

Hi,

thanks. I already have this option, which activates well in pdf xchange pro, but has no influence on my windows 10 french pdf preview in windows folder browsing.

Is there another solution ? Does the fact having a french version fo windows change somthing ?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, cabinet de psychiatrie

Unfortunately it is not possible to enable the "select text" tool within the preview handler extension for the Windows File Explorer. If you wish to select text in a file, you will need to open the document directly.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
cabinet de psychiatrie
User

thanks.

Is it possible to ask this as a new feature ?
cabinet de psychiatrie
User

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:49 pm Hi, cabinet de psychiatrie

Unfortunately it is not possible to enable the "select text" tool within the preview handler extension for the Windows File Explorer. If you wish to select text in a file, you will need to open the document directly.

Kind regards,

Isn't there a registry hack to get selection tool ?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

I have proposed the idea to our Dev team, but cannot promise it will be implemented.

As for an alternative, unfortunately no, there are no registry hacks or anything of the like that those of us at the office know of currently. I will check again with the rest of the team when they return from holidays, but I suspect there will not be any changes. If there is anything, I will followup here on Monday.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
asdf3sthdhawer53
User

Post by asdf3sthdhawer53 »

In an older version of PDF-xchange editor, hovering the hand tool over text would automatically switch over to the select text tool in maybe 1 second. But with the latest version, this doesn't seem to happen for me. Is there a way to turn it back on?

Otherwise, it would be great to have keyboard shortcuts. For Adobe, it's the H (hand) and V (select) keys. Also, holding the spacebar activates the hand tool when in any other tool.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

After you have clicked the Hand tool in the Home ribbon, you will see that an additional Hand Tool/Format ribbon becomes available.
In that ribbon, click the Select Text/Images icon to turn that option ON.

Currently, there are no keyboard shortcuts assigned to the Hand Tool nor the Select Text Tool.
If you like, you can do this via Customize Toolbars.

Best regards.
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - Select Text or Images.png
asdf3sthdhawer53
User

Post by asdf3sthdhawer53 »

Thank you. It works now after activating the function.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
cabinet de psychiatrie
User

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:21 pm Hi, cabinet de psychiatrie

I have proposed the idea to our Dev team, but cannot promise it will be implemented.

As for an alternative, unfortunately no, there are no registry hacks or anything of the like that those of us at the office know of currently. I will check again with the rest of the team when they return from holidays, but I suspect there will not be any changes. If there is anything, I will followup here on Monday.

Kind regards,
Hi : with PDF xchange as default pdf viewr in my windows 10, there is right click with several options from pdf xchange. Isn't it possible to add a select text/Hand tools ?
I think it concerns preview handler surrogate host
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello cabinet de psychiatrie,

This is an option that you can only use inside the Editor when a file is already opened. It has no meaning for a context menu in WE. Also - the preview pane in Windows Explorer is just that - a rasater preview, and you can not work with the file directly in that preview.

Kind regards,
Stefan
cabinet de psychiatrie
User

Hi Stefan,

I disagree on your analysis : in my case I use windows explorer with preview as a way to read and copy info from pdfa documents, wihout the need to open the doc in it's own editor windows.

This means an efficiency gain, in my use scenario

Best regards
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Stefans statement was not an analysis, he was clarifying the fact that when we show a preview, it is not loading the entire document, the text content is not present or loaded to be selected, only a rasterized preview of the page is loaded. Thus, even if we did offer the ability to enable the "select text" tool, it would not be possible to actually select text, since it is not loaded into this preview pane at all.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:30 pmonly a rasterized preview of the page is loaded
It's a pity, because the handler from Microsoft Office 2019 loads text as text:
_
2021-12-01_14-47-48.png
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Jensen Head,

Word documents are usually much simpler and lightweight. PDF files could very well have interactive elements in them as well.
So showing more than just a rendered image in the preview pane for PDF files will be much more complex than just a rendered image. That's why we are going that approach and I do not think there are any plans for this to change for the time being.

Kind regards,
Stefan