PDFX closed unexpectedly - Recover changes to doc?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

IT Guy
User

PDFX closed unexpectedly - Recover changes to doc?

Post by IT Guy »

Hi Team,

One of your staff lost a few hours on a document, PDF X somehow closed. The user thinks they did it somehow when fumbling keys.

It appears PDFX is setup to save recovery data every 5 mins but I can't see anyway to get back to a previous version or whatever. How does this system work?

Many thanks
IT Guy
User

Re: PDFX closed unexpectedly - Recover changes to doc?

Post by IT Guy »

I should add, I can see the Document Recovery pane and it has nothing in it. Should I not expect to see something in here?

What exactly is PDFX saving every 5 mins if it's not changes to the doc?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: PDFX closed unexpectedly - Recover changes to doc?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, IT Guy

The Recovery pane would be the place to look for this if any data was present. We save this information to the current users tmp folder, so in some environments, if the user has signed out (or signs back in on another device), that folder may be cleared and recovery would be impossible.
Beyond that, we ourselves clear these files form the tmp folder when the Editor is closed without error if any of the documents recorded are closed. This means that so long as it did not crash or get forcibly closed (such as by restarting windows), there would be no recovery data present.

In the end, if the recovery pane is already empty, it will not be possible to restore it.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com