read text out loud "rst" when reading "first"

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

fletchro
User

read text out loud "rst" when reading "first"

Post by fletchro »

Hello,

I'm experiencing an annoying bug with the read text out loud feature. In many of my documents, there are words such as "first" or "efficiency" that, when read aloud, become "R S T" and "eee-she-ency". So I looked into this and thought maybe it's a problem with ligatures.

Now, when I am in PDF reading mode, I can place a cursor in between the f and the i to select them as if they are separate characters. However, when I enter "Edit Text" mode, they appear to be one character.

What I would like is a way for the software to automatically read the ligature "fi" as I would read it. Please work on that. What I am willing to accept in the meantime is a workaround. Is there a way I can find and replace all of the "fi" ligatures in the document with two characters?

Thank you!

Windows 10 version 1909 , PDF X-Change Editor 8.0.343.0
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: read text out loud "rst" when reading "first"

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Fletchro,

welcome to the tracker forums.

It does sound like yo have nailed the cause of this, the ligatures. As to being able to find and replace them, we are working on a find and replace, but the biggest hurdle is what to do when replacing with text that does not fit in the space of the old text. You may be aware that PDFs are not linear and do not flow like a work processing format would.

In the case of replacing these ligatures with individual letter, that may be simpler, I will ask the dev team as I am not entirely sure myself.

I'll post back here what comes of the discussion.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com