Incredibly long print times.

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Weez
User

Post by Weez »

I have a question about printing. I work with some pretty involved PDFs (drawings) with multiple layers and viewports. PDF-Xchange usually takes between 8 mins till as long as 20 minutes to print a single page where as Bluebeam can usually print them in under 30 seconds and never more than a minute. The only think i can think of is how PDF Xchange is handling the layers and or viewports? is there anything i can try and see on my own what the culprit is?
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Incredibly long print times.

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Can you please first verify the Print dialog-box in PDF-XChange Editor and look for the "Print as image" checkbox at the bottom, at the left. Normally it should be turned OFF.

Are you prepared to post an example-PDF here on this forum ?
If not, you can also send that file to tracker support for investigation, with a reference to this forum.

Best regards.
Weez
User

Post by Weez »

I just checked and "Print as an image" is unchecked.

ive attached a single page of the PDF below for anyone review and testing. This single page in PDF Exchange takes me 12 minutes to print and less than 30 seconds in Bluebeam.
05_Architectural_5.pdf
(847.64 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Thanks for your response and help
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Unfortunately, currently I do not have a (real) printer available for testing.

I only ran a few tests in PDF-XChange Editor, version 8.0.343, with (virtual) printers like PDF-XChange Lite, PDF-XChange Standard, Microsoft Print to PDF and Foxit Reader PDF Printer. They all take no longer than 1 minute to generate a new PDF from your example file.

Can you please run a similar test by printing your PDF to one (or more) of these PDF-printers and tell us if they also print in less than a minute ?

This might give us an idea whether to search the problem within PDF-XChange Editor or within the printer-(driver).

If possible, be sure to upgrade your version of PDF-XChange Editor to the most recent version available here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor

Regards.

EDITED

After running some more tests, it seems like the problem is coming from selecting the "Select Paper Size by Document's Page Size" in PDF-XChange Editor. A similar test with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC: no problem.
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - Print scaling.png
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC - Print scaling.png
Weez
User

Post by Weez »

So i tried what you suggested by unchecking "Select Paper Size by Document's Page Size" and it did save significant time. It reduced it from about 12 minutes to about 2 minutes. Quite a reduction but still way too long. I also installed the latest version (i appeared to be one revision behind) Still takes approximately 2 minutes to spool. If it was one drawing i could probably deal with it but when printing dozens of drawings it gets frustrating.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Maybe also compare the print resolution between the two applications?
See behind the "More..."-button in PDF-XChange Editor's print dialog-box.

Still up to Tracker Software Support if something more can be done to reduce printing-times.

Best regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, all

We are aware of some issues causing printing delays/slowness when our printing, and are working on possible methods to improve print times for them.

Unfortunately due to the complexity of some of these items, the best we are able to promise is that you should see continued gradual improvements with every few new release as time goes on.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Thanks Daniel for your additional information.

Regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com