Email a pdf with spreadsheet data to several people

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

DWC121
User

Email a pdf with spreadsheet data to several people

Post by DWC121 »

Greetings,

A few months ago I stumbled across the help pages about filling in form fields with data from a spreadsheet. If my spreadsheet has 20 rows of data, I think it means 20 separate pdf's would be created. I also want to automatically send those pdf's via email. Now I can not find the help pages.

Here is what I want to do. I have an OpenOffice spreadsheet with many records. I want to extract data (Name, phone number, email address, etc) from the spreadsheet and import it into a pdf. The pdf would then be emailed to each email address but each pdf would contain only the recipient's data that was in the spreadsheet.

What I'm emailing is a multi-page newsletter from our organization to each member. One page in the newsletter would show the contact information for that one person.

Is the above doable, or did I misinterpret the help pages I saw a few months ago?

Thanks

David
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Email a pdf with spreadsheet data to several people

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, DWC121

Unfortunately what you are looking for there is not quite possible yet. You could certainly generate filled PDF documents (one each per row of content in the source file), but emailing cannot currently be handled by document content. As such, you would either be sending a copy of every document to everyone on the list, or you would need to save the files locally, and then manually do the emailing process.

Perhaps in the future we can offer this, but I do not foresee it being something we offer very soon.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
DWC121
User

Post by DWC121 »

Thanks Daniel!

What you mentioned is doable for me. When I have a moment, I'll try to find the help pages about generating multiple copies of a pdf that would each have data from a row in a spreadsheet. If I have the pdf retrieve the email address (Name, phone number, etc) from the spreadsheet, then save the pdf locally, I can open the pdf later, copy the email address, and then send it via email. I think that should work. Emailing them individually will take time. I just hope the pdf does not attempt to re-retrieve data from the spreadsheet when I open it a second time.

You probably know where everything is in the help pages. When you have time, could you reply with a link to the help pages where I might find some information about populating form fields from a spreadsheet?

I could have sworn I saw a help page about automatically sending a pdf via email. On those help pages, I recall seeing a note about how to allow Gmail to send an email directly from PDF-XChange (you have to allow Gmail to use an unsecured app). I thought perhaps PDF-XChange could email the pdf by "reading" the email address in each pdf.

David
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, DWC121

The feature you are looking for to populate forms would be this one, on the Form tab in the Editor:
image.png
(it should be coming to PDF-Tools in the near future as well)

This page in the manuals describes it in detail, but to quickly answer your concerns, it would need to be run manually, you would not need to worry about it generating duplicates every time you open one of the documents.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com