Text lost after having added comments  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

UeliF
User

Text lost after having added comments

Post by UeliF »

My assistant works with PDF-XChange Light I work with the full version.

My assistant has added notes to a pdf-file. After saving several times, the original text in the file has disappeared. Only her annotations are still visible and the (empty) table fields of the original text and all text that has been written
Original_File.pdf
outside the tables. How can this happen?

Can the file be fixed?
I attache the two files
Wrecked_File.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Text lost after having added comments  SOLVED

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, UeliF

Before we get into the final version of the file, I should mention that from what I can see here, the original document was damaged before anything else was done to it:
image.png
This could lead to potential issues such as document corruption, so you will want to look into the method used to create the original file (Mac OS X "Quartz PDFContext" & "MS word") as they appear to be generating problematic documents that could be part of the issue.

Following that, looking at the final document, the issue thankfully has nothing to do with the comments that were added. The file has been "rasterized" (turned into an image) by a Ghostscript printer (we do not yet offer any GhostScript printing functionality in PDF-XChange). You can identify this by looking in the "docuemnt properties" (Ctrl+D) or by zooming in on the docuemnt, and comparing it to the original:
image1.png
It is never advised to print PDF to PDF, unless absolutely necessary, as issues like this can occur. During this "printing" process, it is not uncommon for virtual printers to mess up the order of the content. Causing it to be placed incorrectly, and some items to end up "behind" the background before it is flattened into a single image resulting in lost content.

To prevent this, I would advise that you consider giving your assistant a normal PDF-XChange Editor license instead of having them use the free version, so they can perform the same editing as you do, and simply "save" (Ctrl+S) the document, instead of printing pdf to pdf (for the reasons above). This would also have the befit of preventing the "demo stamps" you see in the final document from being applied, unless certain advanced features, like OCR or Form creation, are used.

Kind regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
UeliF
User

Re: Text lost after having added comments

Post by UeliF »

Wow, Daniel

Thank you so much!
I am most positively surprised not only by the quickness of your response but by the in-depth evaluation you have given to this subject.
I will take your advise and buy a license to my person.

I could not see the function to mark this topic 'solved'. Maybe you can do?

All the best
Ueli
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Text lost after having added comments

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, UeliF

Glad that i could be of assistance!

You have an excellent day! 8)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com