Bookmarks unreadable

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

sl23
User

Bookmarks unreadable

Post by sl23 »

Hi, I just joined to make a small request if I may.

I started using this app as a replacement for the now bloated Foxit Reader. I only really use it for reading ebooks in PDF format.

My problem is that I've set the interface to a dark coloured theme, but the PDF bookmarks remain shown in a black text. This makes reading them very difficult.

Could we please have an option to change the colour of bookmarks text?

Thanks
Ovg
User

Re: Bookmarks unreadable

Post by Ovg »

https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=35120
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
PDF-XChange PRO, 10.1.1 (Build 381) / W7 SP1 x64
sl23
User

Post by sl23 »

Thanks for the link but according to the instructions in that post, this is not working for me at all. I have a dark grey background, darker than the example shown in the middle pic, and the text is black in the bookmarks section.

In other words there is no change to the Bookmarks font colouring no matter what I do with the "Window" colour setting.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

Does it help when you change the color of the bookmarks themselves (by selecting them all in the Bookmarks panel - CTRL + A - and changing their default color - black - to something else in the Bookmark Properties panel) ?

This might be a 'workaround' for now, until a better solution will be offered by Tracker Software.
It only takes a second of time to perform this operation when opening a PDF.

Best regards.
sl23
User

Post by sl23 »

Thanks for the tip.
I tried this with around 10 - 15 files, none allowed me to change this option.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

At my side, there is no problem at all to change the color of the bookmarks in a PDF, in the way I explained here above.
Even with protected PDF's.

Do you get an error message ?

Just make sure to activate the Bookmarks pane at the left, and the Properties pane at the right, to do the job.
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - Change color of the bookmarks.png
sl23
User

Post by sl23 »

I tried it exactly as you said - selecting them all in the Bookmarks panel - CTRL + A - and changing their default color - black - to something else in the Bookmark Properties panel.

Except there is no Bookmarks Panel only a window opens when I click Bookmarks Properties.
Everything under the Appearance tab is greyed out so I can't change anything.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Sorry that I do not immediately see the problem.

The "Bookmarks" pane can be opened via View > Bookmarks (in the classic menu user interface) or View > Panes > Bookmarks (in the ribbon user interface).

The "Properties" pane can be opened via View > Other panes > Properties Pane or View > Panes > Properties pane

From the moment that you select one or more of the bookmarks, you should be able to change their Style > Fill Color

Note: Can you tell us, where do you see an "Appearance" tab ?

The only thing why you should not be able to change things, is some protection of the PDF document itself.
Can you take a look via File > Document Properties > Security ?

If you still can not sort it out, then could you please post a screenshot and/or a sample PDF document that does not allow changes ?

Best regards.
sl23
User

Post by sl23 »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:46 am The "Bookmarks" pane can be opened via View > Bookmarks (in the classic menu user interface) or View > Panes > Bookmarks (in the ribbon user interface).
Yep, got that already :D
Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:46 amThe "Properties" pane can be opened via View > Other panes > Properties Pane or View > Panes > Properties pane
This does not exist. The only way for me to open Bookmarks Properties is to click the Edit button on the Bookmarks pane or select a number of bookmarks and Right-click them and then select Properties. This opens a new window that has two tabs in the left column.

These two tabs are labelled Appearance and Action.

There is no other way in the menus to open any kind of Properties pane.

Will post a screenshot later
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Then I guess you are talking about the old "PDF-XChange Viewer" application that is still available for download and installation, but that has no more had functional updates for several years. It has been replaced by "PDF-XChange Editor" ever since.
More info: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor

So, to change the color of your bookmarks, in PDF-XChange Viewer, you will have to do this via the "Multiple Bookmark Properties" dialog-box and change the "Color" property like indicated in my screenshot here below.
To make sure that 'all' the bookmarks will be recolored, you must click the "Expand All Bookmarks" icon in the Bookmarks pane before selecting them all.

I hope this will finally work for you.

And, in case you like to have a look at PDF-XChange Editor, then download and install it, and find out about all its possibilities and features. Just a remark: In case you are going to use a licensed feature, you will get a warning, but you can still continue the try out of it. The only thing you will get as a result is publicity stamps on your pages. So, in that case, do not save your PDF's with their original name.

Regards.
Attachments
PDF-XChange Viewer - Bookmarks.png
Last edited by Willy Van Nuffel on Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sl23
User

Post by sl23 »

Oh yes!!! Sorry, I had installed both but forgot to associate with the newer Editor version!
Thanks for your help :D :D
Willy Van Nuffel
User

All right, now you known how to change the color of your bookmarks in both applications.

:-)
sl23
User

Post by sl23 »

Ha yep thank you :mrgreen:

Except the properties are always greyed out in that app!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, sl23

To clarify, I assume you mean that they are always greyed out in the Viewer, or are they greyed out in the Editor as well?
If they are greyed out in the Editor, please send us a copy of one of these files, so we can run some tests here and see what could be going on.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com