change suggestion re: suggested location for saving session file

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

User4455
User

change suggestion re: suggested location for saving session file

Post by User4455 »

Dear Tracker-Team,

the button "save current session as file" (my german version is "Aktuelle Sitzung in eine Datei speichern ...") opens a windows-file-saving-dialogue at a location, which always seems to be the location to which I last saved a session file.

This makes sense in cases when I do not start the Editor through a session, but by individually opening pdf-files. Then, I can save my session to the last used location.

However, this appears rather inconvenient and prone to mistakes in cases, where I start with an exisiting session file and would later like to save an updated version of it (let's say I opened some additional documents and/or tabs that should be included in the session file). If I click on "save current session as file" it will - as described above - open the saving-dialogue at the location, where I last saved a session file. However, I would like to replace the session-file from which I started (or maybe save an additional version, but at the same location). Thus, I need to browse to its location.
So: the extra browsing is inconvenient and the fact, that the dialogue is often openen "somewhere else", may lead to accidental saving at an incorrect location, when you're not cautious.

Thus, in cases, in which I start from an existing session file, I suggest the session-saving dialogue should open at the location of the session-file from which I started.

I would like to add one more idea in this regard. Why not treat session-files more like other files, in that there could be one "save session-file"-button and one "save session-file as ..."-button. As with other files and programs, the "save session-file"-button would simply save the current session (which was started from a session file; and replace the prior version), whereas the "save session-file as ..."-button would open a dedicated file-saving dialogue (preferably at the location as suggested above).

Thank you for your consideration!
Cheers!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: change suggestion re: suggested location for saving session file

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, User4455

Thank you for the excellent suggestions, I have created a format feature request for you on this matter:

RT#5383: Session - "Save" handling requests

As usual, due to the possible complexity of these items, I cannot offer an guarantee of a timeline or promise of implementation at this time.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
burny
User

Post by burny »

Hi Daniel,

I would require the exact same features that user4455 suggested.

Particularly, it would be really useful to have a "save session-file"-button would simply save the current session (which was started from a session file; and replace the prior version).

Are there any updates on this topic?

Best regards,
burny
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello burny,

Thanks for adding your voice for this feature!
There is already a Feature Request ticket in our system (#5383 that Dan mentioned above), so we will be looking at this!

Kind regards,
Stefan