Shapes to images

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Yimmy55
User

Shapes to images

Post by Yimmy55 »

Hi, I was wondering if there is a tool to transform vector shapes into images?
I'm sorry if you have already asked this but I didn't find anything
I ask because when optimizing a pdf and viewing the tool "audit space usage", the content streams section takes up many Megabytes.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Shapes to images

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Yimmy55

There should be many tools to do so, if you happen to have a vector based image even something as basic as pasting it into paint and saving that would allow you to convert vector to raster.
Although, I don't recommend doing so based on your problem description. If the issue is file size, Shapes are usually much smaller in size than their image based conterpart would be ("usually" being the operative word here), and having dozens/hundreds (or even thousands) of shapes on a page to load is usually easier for a PDF application than having the same amount of images would be.

If you need to reduce file size and think it is caused by the amount of shapes you have present, you could use the "rasterize pages" function top convert each page into a single static image (note that this flattens ALL content into a single image per page, so I recommend saving the rasterized version as s copy and not overwriting the original, as you cannot restore it once this is done).

Beyond that, if you are unsure what exactly the "document overhead" actually is, you could try enabling all of the "cleanup" and "discard" options in the save as optimized UI and see if there is a major improvement in the file size from that alone.

I am sure that someone else can think of other options for you as well, but this is what comes to mind for me at the moment.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Yimmy55
User

Post by Yimmy55 »

Thank you very much, you solved many doubts for me.
The function of "rasterize pages" decreases the quality of the forms and text, it is not the function I was looking for.
And what I don't understand is the function "pasting it into paint" that you mention, with this, you are referring to the snapshot tool?, I just discovered it and I found it interesting, it allowed me to rasterize a section of the page and convert it to image but it is not configurable with DPI so it loses a lot of quality
From what you said and what I've practiced, converting vector shapes to images does not decrease the megabytes of the file so leaving it like this is the best
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

In case you like to change the DPI and/or other options for the Snapshot Tool in PDF-XChange Editor:
- click File/Edit > Preferences and click "Snapshot Tool" in the column at the left, below Categories.

Regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Willy Van Nuffel,

Thanks for the help!
Indeed - the DPI used for the snapshot tool can be adjusted from the preferences window!

Kind regards,
Stefan
Yimmy55
User

Post by Yimmy55 »

Thank you all very much for your help!!! :D
I feel sorry for my English jeje

Regards
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Yimmy55,

Glad to hear that the advise shared here helped!
And your English is perfectly fine!

Kind regards,
Stefan