Certificates, Save Location and Adding

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

iamnotcreativewithnames
User

Certificates, Save Location and Adding

Post by iamnotcreativewithnames »

Hello everyone,

today I got the question wheather it would be possible to add certificates to pdf files and this wasn't the big problem. The problem I encountered was not knowing where my self-written test certificate was saved for the sake of trying to export and distribute it via group policies to the other computers in the company. The other problem was, that when we tried using a certificate that we already owned, it would suggest one that we could not locate anywhere on the computer, that wasn't a know certificate of ours and also we could not select other certificates apart from that suggested one.

So here are my questions:
  • Where are the certificates that you create within the interface of PDF-XChange located?
  • Can you add a certificate from the Microsoft Certificate Store, and if so, how? (Do not hesitate to explain it step by step, if you want/have the time to :D
Kind Regards

Sebastian
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Certificates, Save Location and Adding

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Sebastian,

thanks for the post. You should be prompted where to save your self signed certificate:
SignatureSaveOptions.gif
You can also browse to where you have your certificate stored. Note that your self signed certificate needs to be of the type PFX.

You can also use certificates from the Windows System Store. When you create a self signed certificate yo have the option of saving it to the System Store rather than as a file.

Also, you can use Active Directory to make a certificate automatically available to your users and the Editor should again pull them from the System Store. I will set one up here and make guide on how to do that if it would help.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
iamnotcreativewithnames
User

Post by iamnotcreativewithnames »

Firstly, thanks. Everything you said to me brought me one step closer.

We now have the problem that we are unable to import bought certificates into the program. The dropdown at "Use Certificate from System Store" only shows the certficates created with the PDF-XChange interface.

My next question would be how to import bought certificates into PDF-XChange so that I can choose it from the aforementioned drop down.

Kind Regards

Sebastian
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, iamnotcreativewithnames

Currently we are only able to make use of certificates which have a corresponding private key. If you purchased a certificate, you should be able to request that they send you one which has a private key. You can tell if you have a private key for your current certificate by checking its properties:
image.png
If you do not, you will not be able to use the certificate in our software.

If you do have a private key, and it is still not appearing in the list in our Editor, First please first try restarting the Editor, as it may simply need to do so before it can fetch the new certificate. If that does not help, please Email support@pdf-xchange.com with a link to this forum thread, as well as screenshots of the certificates "general" "Details" and "Certification path" tabs. I ask for an email as these pages may contain some personal information which you may not want shared on a public forum.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
lev
User

Post by lev »

iamnotcreativewithnames wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:31 am My next question would be how to import bought certificates into PDF-XChange so that I can choose it from the aforementioned drop down.
Right-click on the file containing the certificate you are wanting to import and look for Import or Install in the context menu. Letting the Import Wizard automatically select the certificate store based on type of certificate will place it in the Personal Store and it'll be accessible by the program.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, lev

Thank you for catching that, and Sorry iamnotcreativewithnames for missing that question, I hope lev's answer is helpful for you.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for the screen shots Sebastion, I see that you do have the Private Key available. This is good.

I am answering your email - once I consult the dev responsible for how we handle certificates.

Your patience in this is appreciated.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com