Browse for Link Target - Use Zoom Mode  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

zarkogajic
User

Browse for Link Target - Use Zoom Mode

Post by zarkogajic »

Hi Support,

When creating a link using the Link Creation Tool, upon selecting a rectange (as the link's source location), the next dialog is displayed:

image.png

What does "Use Zoom Mode" do?

It gets disabled when "Ignore Zoom Level" is ON. When so, the link created is an XYZ destination link with zoom level inherited.

When "Ignore Zoom level" is OFF and therefore "Uze Zoom Mode" can be set (ON/OFF) - I see no difference in created link properties.

-žarko
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Browse for Link Target - Use Zoom Mode

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello zarkogajic,

It should set the zoom for the link to what the current zoom is at the time you are creating the link.
"Inherit" will not change the zoom a user has set up when clicking a link, while the specific zoom mode set up with that option on will force a new zoom level (which a user with the Editor can still decide to ignore with the checkbox in the preferences for that).

Kind regards,
Stefan
zarkogajic
User

Post by zarkogajic »

Hi Stefan,

Thanks. But still not clear.

I have the "Ignore Zoom Level" set to off - so I can check / uncheck the "Use Zoom Mode"

I'm creating a link in Doc1, setting the target to Doc2 (both documents open in Editor).

1. Doc1 is the active document - zoom level set to 75%
2. Activate link creation Tool and draw a rect - the "Browse For Link Target appears
3. Activate Doc2 with Zoom level of 400%
4. Click "Set Link"

An GOTOR XYZ link is created with 400% zoom level regardless of the "Use Zoom Mode" being set to off or on.

-žarko
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

I have the same question.

In the Knowledge Base:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgebase/402-What-is-the-Link-Creation-Tool-and-how-does-it-operate
...this is explained as follows:
The options in the Browse for Link Target dialog box are as follows:

If the Ignore Zoom Level box is selected then PDF-XChange Editor will ignore the document zoom level when links are created. If this box is cleared then the zoom level will update to the zoom level that was present at the time of link creation when links are subsequently used.

If the Use Zoom Mode box is selected then PDF-XChange Editor will ignore the active zoom mode when links are created. If this box is cleared then the zoom mode will update to the mode that was active at the time of link creation when links are subsequently used.
The only difference between the two checkboxes seems to be that the former affects the handling of the Zoom Level, while the latter affects the handling of the Zoom Mode.

But what is the difference between "Zoom Level" and "Zoom Mode"?

image.png
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, David.P

I hope this helps to clarify, i have also updated the Article to hopefully make this more clear.

The "ignore" option, will disable the other, and will not include any zoom information in the link, it will make the link respect the applications current zoom level when the link is clicked by the reader.
If Use zoom mode is checked, it will use whichever of the zoom modes (fit page, fit width, etc) is in use currently, instead of a flat percentage zoom:
image.png
If both options are unchecked, then the link will use a flat percentage zoom (such as 60.28% you see in my screenshot), based on the zoom level you currently have set in the Editor when creating the link.

The proper use of this tool is to draw where you want the clickable link to be placed, then while this dialog is still opened, scroll to the intended location the link should point to, zoom in or setup your view as desired, and then click "set link". Now the Editor will snap back to the placed link, (if you switch to a tool other than the create links tool) clicking on the link will then take you to the page you defined, at the zoom level or mode (if set) you desginated.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
zarkogajic
User

Re: Browse for Link Target - Use Zoom Mode  SOLVED

Post by zarkogajic »

Hi Daniel,

Thanks. This is clear. Since I asked, I will close the topic :)

-žarko
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Browse for Link Target - Use Zoom Mode

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com