Bookmarks pane visable at Initial View

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

JeanetteV
User

Post by JeanetteV »

Hi,
I'm using PDF-XChange Editor version 8.0, build 339.0.
I want to use the functionality described in the V8 manual regarding Document properties and the Initial View feature.
I want the Bookmark Pane to always appear when the document is opened, but it doesn't seem to work. At lease not as I expect :?

I select the "Bookmark pane and page" setting in the Navigation view box, in the Initial view category in the document Properties and then save the pdf.

When I reopen or send it to a collegue to view it, the document opens regardless of this setting.
If I had the document open and hiding the bookmark pane and then closed without saving, it will reopen without the pane visible.

Attached are the text from your manual that I'm referring to for this feature.
PDFXE8_Document Properties.JPG
I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise.

Warm regards
Jeanette
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Bookmarks pane visable at Initial View

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hi,

In PDF-XChange Editor there are a few settings (preferences) that get priority over the initial view setting of the specific PDF.
In Ad*be Acr*bat Reader DC you will find similar settings.

Via File (or Edit) > Preferences > Page Display, you have to verify that the option "Restore the last used view of document ..." is turned OFF and that the Default View is set to "Automatic" to make the initial view settings of the specific PDF to work.

If not, respectively, the last view (active/inactive pages) of the specific PDF will be remembered and/or the specific default view (defined in the Preferences) will be respected.

Please let us know if this works for you.

Best regards.
Attachments
PDF-XChange Editor - Initial Display.png
JeanetteV
User

Post by JeanetteV »

Thanks Willy for your reply!

Okej, I hadn't used that setting. :)

But If I send the document to a colleague that still have the program setting to "Restore the last used..." the Bookmark Pane is hidden even if I saved and closed with it shown.
Looks like even if the specific pdf is new to the user, it opened up hiding Bookmark Pane.

Isn't the expected behavior of viewing a new file that last restored view would show if user have this setting ticked?
Feels like some inconsistencies here, or is it just me with wrong expectations?

Warm regards!
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

The parameter "Restore the last used view ..." only counts for your own computer. PDF-XChange Editor stores the last known view of each opened PDF in a local history file on 'your' PC only, not in the PDF's themselves.

So, when you send a 'new' PDF to a colleague, the initial view settings of that PDF should be respected when he opens that PDF for the first time (or later), EXCEPT if that colleague has set the "Default View" of his PDF-reader/editor-application to something else than "Automatic" or "Bookmarks Pane and Page".

In attachment a PDF where I have set the initial view to open with the bookmarks pane visible.
Attachments
Show bookmarks pane.pdf
(7.39 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com