Removing pages (thumbnails) does not remove bookmarks

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Peter2
User

Removing pages (thumbnails) does not remove bookmarks

Post by Peter2 »

I create CAD-plans from different drawings and create a multiple page output. Every page has it own bookmark - "drawing1" to page 1, "drawing2" to page 2 and so on.

When I remove "page 1" with the thumbnails, nothing happens with it bookmark. It stays, but is dead - I can click on it, but nothing happens - no displaying of page 1 (of course - it is removed), no error message like "page 1 not found", no red background on the bookmark-list to show that something is wrong, no command "purge dead bookmarks"

Did I miss something, or is there really some place for improvements?
PDF-X-Change Pro German
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Removing pages (thumbnails) does not remove bookmarks

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Peter2

This is intended, Bookmarks are not physical objects tied to any page of a PDF, they are instead like a map showing you where to look for something, even if that something does not exist any longer, the map will still show its original location.

If we assume that the bookmark only leads to page 1, and you deleted page 1, that simply means that what used to be page 2, is now page 1, and so that bookmark will point to whatever page is currently page 1.

We do offer a "Validate bookmarks" function, on the Bookmarks tab:
image.png
But in a case like the above, the bookmark pointing to page 1 would still be correct, and would not be removed, instead the bookmark pointing to the "last page" of the document, which no longer exists, would be detected as invalid and you could then remove it.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com