Text not detected in PDF-XChange (nor does Foxit, but Acrobat and Chrome do)

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Paul - Tracker Supp, Chris - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software

txt
User

Post by txt » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:49 am

I have a pdf file that has texts on images. When I try to select the texts, the cursor changes to cross-shape and clicking with it selects a box of texts instead of the typical I-shape that selects each character. It seems like PDF-XChange detects them as images, so I get "Image Tools" in the ribbon. Accordingly, "Find" feature can't detect those texts.

I tried several other programs. Foxit detects them as images. However, Acrobat and Chrome properly detects as texts. Therefore, "Find" feature can correctly locate those texts.

Is there any setting in PDF-XChange to properly detect those texts like Acrobat or Chrome? I know I can run OCR, but that can be time-consuming to run on a large pdf file. Thank you.

Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Text not detected in PDF-XChange (nor does Foxit, but Acrobat and Chrome do)

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:03 pm

Hello TXT,

Welcome to our forum.

Is it possible to provide us with an example file so we can see what is happening?

I think you can resolve the problem by using Exclusive Mode but I cannot be sure without the document:

image.png

Regards.

txt
User

Re: Text not detected in PDF-XChange (nor does Foxit, but Acrobat and Chrome do)

Post by txt » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:22 pm

I have attached an example file.

The texts in this file can not be selected in PDF-XChange and "Find" can not locate any text either.

However, the texts can be selected in Acrobat and "Find" can properly locate matching word.
example.pdf
(540.47 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:56 pm

Hi, txt

The trouble here is that the text in this case has a special flag marking is as "not visible" as such, our Editor currently does not show it in search results or allow it to be selected. The content you visually see is "clipped" content, and the text is hidden but not interactive in the same location.
Our Dev team is looking into this and considering possible options for how to handle this case, but this is a highly unique situation, and as such I cannot offer a timeline for its resolution.

Kind regards,
Daniel McIntyre
Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

Support: <Support@tracker-software.com>
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623

txt
User

Post by txt » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:44 pm

Thank you for the response.
Looking forward to update.

TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:15 pm

:)
Daniel McIntyre
Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

Support: <Support@tracker-software.com>
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623