PDFs open showing page 2

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

LondonZ1
User

PDFs open showing page 2

Post by LondonZ1 »

Hi,

Apologies for what may be a stupid question, but when open new PDFs they open showing page 2, rather than the first page.

This is not a document-specific setting: it happens on every PDF I open.

Any suggestions?!

Many thanks in advance.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: PDFs open showing page 2

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Currently, three ideas:

1) You close your documents while their second page is being shown AND the option "Restore the last used page layout ..." is ON.
Look via File- or Edit-menu > Preferences > Page Display.

2) The "Document's Initial View" includes a "Goto Page" action.
Look via File > Document Properties > Initial View.

3) You are using a very old version of PDF-XChange Editor.
Please download, install and try with the latest version: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/produc ... nge-editor
More info in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=27326&p=105908

Please let us know if any of the above suggestions helps.

Best regards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Willy.

:-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
LondonZ1
User

Post by LondonZ1 »

Hi Willy, thank you for your detailed reply, and apologies for my delay in acknowledging it. I assumed that I would get an email if someone replied, and in the absence of such it only occured to me today to proactively check the site. I have now realised that I need to set up my account to send me email notifications, and hopefully I have managed to do so. Apologies again.

I've checked all three points you kindly suggested, and none of them seem to be the cause of the issue. That said, I did stumble across a clue this afternoon, which prompted me to check the site, thank you, and also explain what I've discovered.

Since the start of the Apocalypse, I have a laptop connected to two 4K (2560x1440) monitors. Of the latter, one is in landscape orientation, the other portrait. I have discovered that if I have PDF-Xchange open on the landscape monitor, and then I double-click a PDF, it opens correctly on the first page. If I have PDF-Xchange open on the portrait monitor, and then I double-click a PDF, it opens incorrectly on the second page.

I created a simple two-page PDF with Word, saved it, and tested the theory. I attach screenshots below. Might this be an issue with the software not liking a 4K monitor in portrait orientation? I had an issue with a paid-for browser-based RSS reader a few months ago, which hadn't been coded in anticipation of a screen with the dimensions 2560 high, 1440 wide, so it wouldn't be the first time. Any suggestions gratefully received, please!

Correct - initial view of file if PDF-Exchange is already open on the landscape monitor:
01. Landscape.png

Incorrect - initial view of file if PDF-Exchange is already open on the portrait monitor:
02. Portrait.png

Needless to say, I will be proactive in checking the site now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

I have tried to reproduce this on my laptop, only having a landscape display, by using half the screen, but it worked correctly under all circumstances.

A thing that might be causing the problem is the UI Scaling setting, via File/Edit > Preferences > General.
You could try the three different choices, each time after restarting PDF-XChange Editor.

An other thing to try is the "Default Page Zoom" setting, via File/Edit > Preferences > Page Display.
I guess it is currently set to "Fit Page". Please try one of the other settings.

It also might be caused by the current "display driver" on your laptop. Maybe check if you have the most recent version?

Hopefully, the people of Tracker Software Support are already aware of this problem, or they can try to reproduce the problem and ask their development team to cure the problem.

Best regards.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi LondonZ1,

we have reproduced the issue here and will correct it. There is a support ticket for this, and while for internal use only, should you refer to RT#5341: PDFs open showing page 2 in correspondence with us, then any support staff member will be able to get you a status update.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
LondonZ1
User

Post by LondonZ1 »

Thanks for your further advice Willy, I tried all of the suggestions you kindly proposed, but with no success (including updating to the latest version of the software, per Paul's original email). The error isn't a show-stopper: once I realised that it occurs all the time, I simply press the Home button each time I open a PDF on the portrait monitor. Obviously, if the team can fix it though, that would be great.

Thanks Paul, it's good news that you can replicate the error, so I will keep an eye out for updates to this thread.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

PDFs open showing page 2

:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke