Drawing tablet marks on papers inconsistent

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Zarquan314
User

Drawing tablet marks on papers inconsistent

Post by Zarquan314 »

Due to the pandemic, I receive all assignments digitally now. I plan to use PDF XChange editor to write notes as I would on a physical paper and send them back so that I don't need to print and scan.

This approach works great except one thing. Some PDFs appear to have significantly different dimensions from others. When I write on their paper, larger papers have finer lines and smaller papers have thicker lines.

Is there a way I can make the pencil function ignore the dimensions of the page and make consistent marks?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Drawing tablet marks on papers inconsistent

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Zarquan314

To ensure that they appear visually consistent to you personally, you can enable "thin lines" mode from the View tab. Though that will not change their actual size on the page, it will ensure that the line is roughly 1px wide for you regardless of other document related differences.

alternatively, from the Format tab, you can manually change the stroke "Width", which will allow you to adapt the line thickness to the documents scale manually. Unfortunately it is not possible to have this dynamically change based on the document itself.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Zarquan314
User

Post by Zarquan314 »

Perhaps the correct approach is to resize the document? But I'm not sure how to do that. I haven't used a PDF editor before.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Zarquan314

You can resize pages in a document (and scale the existing content if you so desire) by using the "resize pages" tool on the organize tab:
image.png
I hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Zarquan314
User

Post by Zarquan314 »

Sorry for the post necro, but I am using the free version, so that tool is disabled, so I want anyone who finds this to know the solution I found.

I solved this problem by printing larger files to a PDF. I have to fiddle with the print settings to get it to do it correctly, but the problem is solved.

I would prefer this method for my specific use case even with the paid version. Since I am working with student papers, it is actually better for me if their work isn't editable by me because it is annoying when I try to erase my comment and erase some of the student's work. By printing to PDF, it bakes any student annotations on to the document so that it can not accidentally be edited by me.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Zarquan314,

I am happy to hear you've found a solution that works for you, and while we would generally NOT recommend printing PDF files back to PDF - in your use case it's actually the preferred result - so even better!

Thanks for sharing it for anyone else who could need the same approach!

Kind regards,
Stefan