PDF-XChange Editor 8.0 crash on print

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

uwezi
User

Post by uwezi »

Hello I cannot find a recent report on printing problems in the forum, therefore I post this new report.

I recently upgraded to v8 of PDF-XChange and am right now running v8.0 build 341.0 on Windows 10 Pro on my stationary computer and still v6.0 build 319.0 on my laptop with Win 10 Home.

Both versions on both systems fail to print documents to my Epson Stylus 2100 on a CUPS/Raspberry Pi.

The symptoms are the same for both versions - and other programs like Acrobat Reader has no problem printing the same document on the same printer.

When printing first the Epson preview window opens while the progress bar in PDF-XChange Editor still hasn't reached 100%. After clicking "OK" in the Epson preview, first the Epson print monitor starts and then PDF-XChange collapses and restarts without an open document. The printer does not start a print job either.

Disabling the preview in the printer settings does seem to help - but why?

I have seen the same behavior repeatedly now during the last weeks (one of the reasons for the upgrade). The PDF documents I tried to print were mostly generated using LaTeX. I attach a test document which reproduces the problem on my systems.
testbild.pdf
(11.74 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange Editor 8.0 crash on print

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, uwezi

To begin, I notice you mentioned your Raspberry PI, are you running a Windows box emulated within the PI, or are you running our software natively on linux there?
If you are running through windows, are you certain that you have all the appropriate latest drivers for the devices you are printing to, it could be that the issue is caused by an older version of the print driver. Furthermore, you mention crashing, but then follow-up to only say that printing does not work, is it our software which is crashing, or does it continue running normally, but fails to send the print job? Could I ask you to send us a video of the process so we can see what exactly happens?
If our software is indeed crashing, and you are running on windows, please follow the steps here (in build 341.0) to setup crash dumps and then send us the file in question.

If you are instead running the software directly in Linux, please let us know and I will ask one of my collogues more familiar with the OS to take a look here.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Greetings!

I am having similar problems printing an open PDF file to a new PDF file, but in the newly-installed version 9.0, build 350.0. I had that happen very occasionally in V8 but not enough to inconvenience me or to report. But now in V9, it is much more common. I print PDF-to-PDF to end-run annoying security settings that are sometimes imbedded in downloaded documents.

In some cases, starting the print routine crashes the entire program: everything closes down and the re-opens. In other cases, the print job completes but then, when I run the OCR function, it completes the run but then the previously-visible pages are completely blank! No text, no original image, although the content panel shows the text that has been identified on the page image.

Any suggestions?
All best,

FringePhil
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

HI PHK,

update the Editor to 9.0.352.0.

The crash on Print bug in 9.0.350.0 was fixed in 9.0.351.0.

Help --> Check for Updates is your friend. Do let me know how that goes and whether it satisfactorily resolves your issue?

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
PHK
User

Post by PHK »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:30 pm HI PHK,

update the Editor to 9.0.352.0.

The crash on Print bug in 9.0.350.0 was fixed in 9.0.351.0.

Help --> Check for Updates is your friend. Do let me know how that goes and whether it satisfactorily resolves your issue?

regards
Thanks, Paul, that seems to have solved the problem and another problem I was having, too. That latter problem was that original page images were disappearing after being OCRed.

As my 9.0.350.0 had only recently been installed, I had not checked for updates before mouthing-off. Sorry.
All best,

FringePhil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)