Cascading Dropdowns

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Leonhard_Peppo
User

Cascading Dropdowns

Post by Leonhard_Peppo »

Hi together,

I´m trying to built a cascading dropdown in PDF XChange Editor.
For Example:

If value "Fruit" is picked in Dropdown (named Dropdown1) then Dropdown 2 should only show the values which referes to fruit ("apple";"Banana"....). If vegetables was picked in Dropdown 1 then then of course other values should appear ("Tomato";"Salad"...)

Is this even possible with XChange Editor? Guess it needs JavaScript?

Best regards and thank you guys in advance
Leo
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Cascading Dropdowns

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Leonhard_Peppo

I have seen this in a document in the past, though the JS to create it is far too advanced for me personally to offer assistance with. Yes, it is possible, and yes it does require advanced JS. Unfortunately, as the case I speak of above was another clients file, it has since been deleted, and even if it weren't I would not be able to share it as an example without their express permission.
Perhaps another user has a sample of this they would be happy to share publicly?

If you have advanced JS knowledge, you will want to review the JS API reference here: https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/ ... erence.pdf

Most likely, you will want to use a text field with a separate "button" field beside it, to act as the "dropdown selection menu". I suggest this method because the "dropdown" preset you see is a specially preformatted field, which would likely interfere with your attempts to create this.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com