The PDF page is not displayed completely

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

KongNan
User

Post by KongNan »

1.pdf
(903.21 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Please use XChange PDF Editor, Viewer and Chrome to check the above page to see the difference.

Pay attention to whether the number starts counting from 1.

(generated with microsoft onenote android version)

sorry for my English
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: The PDF page is not displayed completely

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello KongNan,

Thank you for your report.
It seems that the file is not created according to the PDF format specifications.
I have tried to open it in several other applications, and in half of them, I got different error messages associated with how this file is formatted.
I even tried to open the file in the Adobe Reader and the it doesn't look OK even there.

My suggestion for you is to use different editor when comes to creating PDF files.

Regards.
KongNan
User

Post by KongNan »

Hello, as you mentioned, I also think this is obviously caused by the irregular PDF format. And it is difficult for me to determine whether it is a correct decision to be compatible with such irregular PDF pages, just like what browsers did with HTML in those days.

However, since I only use OneNote when making notebooks and it will only generate irregular PDFs, people who accept my notebooks have trouble choosing tools so that they give up using XChange PdfEditor. This is the main point I came here to explain the reason.

I hope you can make a wise decision instead of having to cater to my needs.

Regards.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi KongNan,

both the Editor and Adobe are handling this file correctly. The file is, as Dimitar suggested, created incorrectly. I asked our lead developer about is and this was his response:
Editor and Acrobat are correct.

By PDF specification maximum dimension of page is 14400 by 14400 units.
By default 1 unit is equal 1 point.

In this particular case the page size is specified as 1806 by 29899 units.
Both Editor and Acrobat truncate the page by maximum allowed dimension and that's why only portion of the PDF is visible.
So, regardless of what Microsoft are doing, we will not modify our editor to ignore this error. With the best of intentions, Microsoft and Google need to comply with the ISO regulated PDF standards, not the other way around I would suggest.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
KongNan
User

Post by KongNan »

Very good answer! I don't want to break the standard, so it's good to keep the current state, thank you!
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com