Select multiple objects - object outside of selection box are selected  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

dwg11
User

Select multiple objects - object outside of selection box are selected

Post by dwg11 »

I'm selecting several objects including Text Boxes, Shapes, etc.

Firstly I want to make sure I'm using the right tool: Is it the "Select Comments" tool?

The problem: If I have several smaller objects inside a large object, and select only the smaller objects, then everything is still selected. See image attached, the larger black rectangle should not be selected since it's outside the selection box in light blue. Is there a setting to prevent this?

Untitled.png
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Select multiple objects - object outside of selection box are selected  SOLVED

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

1) At my opinion, the "Select Comments"-method is the correct one.

2) I do not see an option to not select the large rectangle.
To me, it seems logic that it is included in the selection, whether you start your selection inside or outside this large rectangle.

Work-around:
After having selected all the objects, you can deselect the large rectangle, by a CTRL + click on its border.
dwg11
User

Re: Select multiple objects - object outside of selection box are selected

Post by dwg11 »

OK thanks for confirming.

As an improvement, I would suggest:
- Selection box starting from Top, heading Down & Right: All of the object needs to be covered to be selected.
- Selection box starting from Bottom, heading Up & Left: Part of the object needs to be covered to be selected.

Possibly the objects are referenced from a single node, I don't know, in which case the above would not really work.

Anyway, thanks for confirming.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, dwg11

Thank you for the suggestions. While these are unlikely to be implemented, it is a unique request, so I will be bringing it up with our dev team to see what they have to say on the matter. My prediction is that we will want to maintain consistency, regardless of the direction a user chooses to make their selection from, especially because either of these cases could be ineffective depending on how the objects you need to select are placed and oriented.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
lev
User

Post by lev »

Selecting using a "Left" or "Right" window is standard with CAD software. Implementing this in the Editor would be beneficial.