Search doesn't seem to start from the current location + Two taskbar buttons in fullscreen

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

avada
User

Search doesn't seem to start from the current location + Two taskbar buttons in fullscreen

Post by avada »

Hi!

Recently I noticed two issues:
  • Searching for some reason sometimes doesn't start from the page I view. Not sure what context causes this. I typically notice that the document is navigated backwards even though I'm sure there are results after the current page. And sure enough, repeating the search will take me to the appropriate result after the page I'm viewing.
  • I think this might be related to the issue that I had on Windows 8 (now I'm on 10). When I go to full screen a second blank taskbar button appears, which prevents me from conveniently alt+tab-ing to and from pdf-XE. It's rather annoying and pointless.
avada
User

Re: Search doesn't seem to start from the current location + Two taskbar buttons in fullscreen

Post by avada »

I'm somewhat surprised no-one responded to this. The taskbar button thing is quite a glaring issue that happens constantly.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Search doesn't seem to start from the current location + Two taskbar buttons in fullscreen

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, avada

My apologies for missing this post.
Regarding the search bug, did you mean with the "find" function (Ctrl_F)? I ask this as the "search" function (Ctrl_Shift+F) all happens within the pane, and results always start from the first appearance in the documents, not from the current page.
If you do mean the find function, could you please provide some visual examples or a detailed step-by-step of what you do when it occurs (sample documents may help).

As for the latter issue, I still to this day cannot reproduce these reported issues with Alt-Tab. It seems to work perfectly fine. I do not wish to be a broken record, but if you are able to reproduce it, could we ask for a video showing the issue? I know it is hard to record an issue that you cannot reliably reproduce, but without some indication of what is happening for you, there is nothing we will be able to offer.
This is how it works locally for me:
nBfSfwilo2.gif
Kind regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
avada
User

Post by avada »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:34 pm Regarding the search bug, did you mean with the "find" function (Ctrl_F)?
Yes.
Thinking about it it might be because there's no visual indication whether it searches forwards or backwards. You press ctrl+f, type something, and it searches in whatever direction. The progress bar only goes in one direction so that's of no help. And the forward/back buttons are only highlighted when you click on them, and only stay highlighted until the find panel has focus.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:34 pm As for the latter issue, I still to this day cannot reproduce these reported issues with Alt-Tab. It seems to work perfectly fine. I do not wish to be a broken record, but if you are able to reproduce it, could we ask for a video showing the issue? I know it is hard to record an issue that you cannot reliably reproduce, but without some indication of what is happening for you, there is nothing we will be able to offer.
This is how it works locally for me:
You screencast also shows what I described. You get the two thumbnails for one instance of PDFXE, where one shows the document in full screen the other with the GUI. Since its actually it's one window of one instance it's misleading and confusing.
It defies expectations and conventions, I would call it broken. When one presses alt+tab one expects to be switched to the next window not "switching" to the very same you're trying to switch from...
It also prevents convenient swapping back and forth between PDFXE and another app. Let's say if someone is constantly using the browser to look up info while reading a pdf.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, avada

For the Find function, I have not yet reproduced this. I am testing with a 700+ page document, but as you said you are not sure what context causes it I am unsure what exactly to start with. I have tested in the main viewing area, from within the thumbnails and bookmarks pane, as well as when using some of the other tools. If you can find a way to reliably reproduce this, please let me know.

Regarding the second issue, I was under the impression from your description that the issue was our windows continueing to migrate to the opposite end of the list, making it difficult/annoying to return to the application, not that it was cumbersome to have two windows at the beginning. I have Explained this in detail now to our Dev team and created the following ticket on that matter:
#5305: Fullscreens Editor, Task-switcher "extra window"

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
avada
User

Post by avada »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:56 pm Regarding the second issue, I was under the impression from your description that the issue was our windows continueing to migrate to the opposite end of the list, making it difficult/annoying to return to the application, not that it was cumbersome to have two windows at the beginning. I have Explained this in detail now to our Dev team and created the following ticket on that matter:
#5305: Fullscreens Editor, Task-switcher "extra window"
Great.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:56 pm For the Find function, I have not yet reproduced this. I am testing with a 700+ page document, but as you said you are not sure what context causes it I am unsure what exactly to start with. I have tested in the main viewing area, from within the thumbnails and bookmarks pane, as well as when using some of the other tools. If you can find a way to reliably reproduce this, please let me know.
Do you mean the visual issue I described the second time? Because that always happens like that.
I might very well have been only this, since it's really confusing. I think the appropriate button should always indicate which direction the search went. In my opinion the progress bar should also go from right to left if the search is backwards.
Or, for consideration: Enter might always search forward, and shift+enter backwards. (just like in Firefox)
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, avada
avada wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:04 pm Do you mean the visual issue I described the second time?
I meant both ends of your report at the time, but I have now managed to reproduce the issue with find occurring backwards (it appears that we remember the last direction you clicked the find direction in). The only portion I cannot reproduce now is the find happening on a page other than the on I start on. If you can find a way to reliably reproduce the issue with "find" occurring on a page other than the one you are viewing, please let me know.
avada wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:04 pm In my opinion the progress bar should also go from right to left if the search is backwards.
Or, for consideration: Enter might always search forward, and shift+enter backwards. (just like in Firefox)
As the progress bar usually appears and disappears so quickly it is not visible, I do not believe that would be a good option, but I will suggest using enter for forwards and shift+Enter to go backwards, as that is far more intuitive than the current handling.
[Update] A feature request Ticket was made for this item:
RT#5306: FR: Make "find" Forwards/backwards work like Firefox

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
avada
User

Post by avada »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:57 pm The only portion I cannot reproduce now is the find happening on a page other than the on I start on. If you can find a way to reliably reproduce the issue with "find" occurring on a page other than the one you are viewing, please let me know.
It's probably only confusion because of backward search and no result on a current page.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:57 pm As the progress bar usually appears and disappears so quickly it is not visible, I do not believe that would be a good option,
Not in my experience, it can take several (5-10) seconds on long documents.
Plus it definitely wouldn't hurt in any case.

A clear indication, of what's happenig is definitely needed.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Avada,

lets see what comes of those two tickets in V9.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
avada
User

Post by avada »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:04 pmFin
Hi Avada,

lets see what comes of those two tickets in V9.

regards
Fine, but the neither includes the issue of visually indicating in which direction the search is performed. (At least based on the titles.)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

To be honest with you, I am rather fuzzy on that request.

When you perform a search using the Find feature, it starts where you are in the document, there are forward and back arrows, and the results are in both directions from the point where the search was initiated. The next button goes forward one result, the back likewise back one result.

I do not understand the concept you are looking for. As far as I can tell the direction of search is meaningless. You have results and they are either before or after the first result on the page selected.

I don't mean to be argumentative but I just don't see how this request would work. What is the advantage to changing the direction of the progress bar? It is not in any way that I can understand relevant to the results.

As Dan mentioned, the Advanced search ignores the page displayed for it's results, so that is not part of the discussion from my perspective.

What am I missing?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
avada
User

Post by avada »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:15 pm When you perform a search using the Find feature, it starts where you are in the document, there are forward and back arrows, and the results are in both directions from the point where the search was initiated. The next button goes forward one result, the back likewise back one result.
But if you don't click and press enter, the only thing you see that is that it jumps to a different page for the result. You don't know if it was forwards or backwards.

At least the highlight always appearing on the respective button when a search is performed would help a lot.
Paul - Tracker Supp wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:15 pm I do not understand the concept you are looking for. As far as I can tell the direction of search is meaningless. You have results and they are either before or after the first result on the page selected.
How would it be meaningless? Maybe you want to search in text you haven't read yet or in the text you already read
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

I appreciate your points Avarda,

there may not be much point in us debating the finer points of this at the end of the day this will be at the discretion of the Development Team Leader to decide.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi Avada,

I was on vacation last week, but wanted to follow-up, the ticket (RT#5306: FR: Make "find" Forwards/backwards work like Firefox) would make the Enter key alone ALWAYS go forward through results, while Shift+Enter would ALWAYS go backwards, completely negating the need to offer any indication as to which direction you are searching in as you would know which direction by which keys you are pressing.

I am of a mind with Paul here. I do not see the value in making the progress bar go backwards, especially if we make the search function work like Firefox.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
avada
User

Post by avada »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:16 pm Enter key alone ALWAYS go forward through results, while Shift+Enter would ALWAYS go backwards, completely negating the need to offer any indication as to which direction you are searching in as you would know which direction by which keys you are pressing.

I am of a mind with Paul here. I do not see the value in making the progress bar go backwards, especially if we make the search function work like Firefox.
Hi!

That's a good thing. But it assumes everyone will inherently know how it works. Anyway, even if the progress bar is not changed, highlighting the appropriate search button (even when starting a search with the keyboard) to always indicate what's happening, would be a useful improvement.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Well - it comes down to what the lead developer thinks, the ticket is in the system, it will either happen or not, at his discretion.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke