One Hundred and Forty-One Year-Old Book: Yellowed Pages - Convert Colors?  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

brody-xr3
User

One Hundred and Forty-One Year-Old Book: Yellowed Pages - Convert Colors?

Post by brody-xr3 »

Hi,

Here is a PDF of a 141 year-old book: https://ia600701.us.archive.org/18/item ... 00coll.pdf whose pages have changed color with time.

How could I use the Color Conversion tool to make the pages all as-new again? If not Color Conversion, any other way?

Sincerely,

BXR
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: One Hundred and Forty-One Year-Old Book: Yellowed Pages - Convert Colors?  SOLVED

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, brody-xr3

There are two ways to go about this, although both of them have their share of possible issues.

The first method is the manual way, and the method I would recommend when it comes to an older document like this, for both retainment of information, and overall document size savings.
It appears that the scanner which generated this document has already dont much of the work, and split the image of the text into a separate entity from the page background. This means that it can be deleted independently, (hopefully) without affecting the text. To do this, I recommend use of the "content" pane, so that you can see all the images and content on each page, and note that there are two overlapping images:
PDFXEdit_496wiOaTO6.png
In my investigation, the images with smaller dimensions seem to most often be the ones not containing text, thus they should be the one we delete, resulting in a document looking like this:
PDFXEdit_NQGYkGPQJi.png
Of course this is not perfect, you will notice that the fourth page in this example has lost some of the stamp in the upper corner of the page. Another excellent reason why this should stay a "manual" process, so that you do not accidentally loose any original details like this. You may need to use an image editor to remove any "extras" which are conversely retained and should not be.

The other option is to use the "recompress images" function, and recompress the images to "black and white". At the moment, this would also be a manual (image by image) process. I am suggesting this second method because in the future we will be offering a "recompress multiple images" tool. That tool will allow you to recompress the entire documents images all at once in bulk, saving time, but at the risk of not noticing potential missing content like what I showed above.
I cannot offer a timeline on its implementation, but it has been seeing development time and should hopefully be available in the future.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
brody-xr3
User

Re: One Hundred and Forty-One Year-Old Book: Yellowed Pages - Convert Colors?

Post by brody-xr3 »

Hi Daniel,

When I think about how hard you guys are working I feel grateful! Thanks, Daniel!

Sincerely,

BXR
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, brody-xr3

Thank you for the kind words, we try our best!

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
brody-xr3
User

Post by brody-xr3 »

Hi Daniel,

Here is another vote for this.

You wrote:
I am suggesting this second method because in the future we will be offering a "recompress multiple images" tool. That tool will allow you to recompress the entire documents images all at once in bulk, saving time, but at the risk of not noticing potential missing content like what I showed above.
I cannot offer a timeline on its implementation, but it has been seeing development time and should hopefully be available in the future.
I've got an...824! page document with the same page condition as the one here: download/file.php?id=13664&t=1

It would be SO GREAT to have all those brown pictures done away with with the push of a button.

Sincerely,

BXR
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

One Hundred and Forty-One Year-Old Book: Yellowed Pages - Convert Colors?

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com