Crop Pages > Crop Method: Remove All White Space - No Change  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

brody-xr3
User

Crop Pages > Crop Method: Remove All White Space - No Change

Post by brody-xr3 »

Hi,

Running

Crop Pages > Crop Method: Remove All White Space

according to the Manual this should automatically trim away all the marginal space around the body text without having to add in point sizes or drag the bounding boxes.

But, when I run it on this file there is not result. The pages are unchanged.

https://www.aeontimeline.com/wp-content ... Manual.pdf

What do you think is happening?

Sincerely,

BXR
2020-07-16_18-57-15-635.png
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Re: Crop Pages > Crop Method: Remove All White Space - No Change

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello brody-xr3,

The thing is that there is a Path item on each page that basically is equal to the page size itself. Thus the Bound Box of the page's content is that path's size. Thus the Remove White Margin behaves like that:
image.png
Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
brody-xr3
User

Post by brody-xr3 »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

You wrote:
...there is a Path item on each page that basically is equal to the page size itself. Thus the Bound Box of the page's content is that path's size. Thus the Remove White Margin behaves like that...
Yep, yep. I see that. I think I need some more information.

I'm confused.

Opening the Crop interface, it seems that the main control is a drop down...

Crop Method:

where you're offered as a first choice.

Manual Margin Control

Manual here clearly means: define the boundaries by hand. Up to you.

This was my thinking from that point on:

Immediately after MANUAL margin control is the choice...Remove All White Space
2020-07-17_12-06-39-498.png

Since Manual is listed first and..."Remove All" second, I inferred that if I chose Manual then for sure I would be responsible for dragging / setting the bounding box to the position for the crop.

But, if I selected the SECOND choice, "Remove All White Space" then the program itself would automatically IDENTIFY all the White Space and remove it for me.

On its own, versus my manually having to set it.

The manual seemed to indicate this, too:
•Remove All White Space is a predefined mode that removes all white space from documents.
I didn't see a mention in the manual of a document having a Path item on each page that basically is equal to the page size itself. Thus the Bound Box of the page's content is that path's size. And, this needs to be managed.

So, a few questions, please:

Is it true that the program can automatically cut away all the margin space simply upon upon choosing Remove All White Space? Or, is there some manual positioning of the bounding box I need to do to make the Remove All White Space selection work?

Or, did you mean that it is only THIS ONE DOCUMENT which is unique? https://www.aeontimeline.com/wp-content ... Manual.pdf And, all other documents WILL work?

From my tests so far that is not the case. Testing on multiple different documents it is the same result - nothing happens.

In summary, how automatic is that "Remove All White Space" selection? And, other than selecting it, what else do I need to do to make it work?

Sincerely,

BXR
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Crop Pages > Crop Method: Remove All White Space - No Change  SOLVED

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, brody-xr3

Sasha was saying that this is a situation specific to this document. It may be present in others which were created the same way, but as we are specifically talking about this document, the issue is caused by the document content, not how our editor handles the process.
The remove all white space function will indeed remove white space form the borders of the document, the trouble here is the definition of "white space".

White space, in a PDF, is defined as any portion of the page which is blank, containing No content whatsoever, simply the "page" background color (usually white). As Was shown in this document, there is a page wide "shape" object reaching around all the edges of each page in the document:
PDFXEdit_ajTHWmrhpi.png
If you select and delete this single object, You will notice that selecting the remaining content no longer places the borders on the edge of the page:
PDFXEdit_9iXbKxU5hd.png
You can then run the crop function with "remove white space" and you will see that the page is cropped as you wish:
PDFXEdit_Tk2lPOPkUZ.png
This same issue will happen in any document which has page wide content, such as Scanned documents which are generated as a single page wide image.

I am afraid that I cannot offer any better way to remove this object from each page. Our Editor is also reporting other errors are present in the document, and you mentioned having multiple files with this issue. You may wish to look to the software creating the problematic files, as it may have a configuration option to remove this "background" shape preventing cropping.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
brody-xr3
User

Post by brody-xr3 »

Hi Daniel & Sasha,

Ah! Got it. Thanks! : ))))))))))))))))))))!

Sincerely,

BXR
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Crop Pages > Crop Method: Remove All White Space - No Change

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:)
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com