set standard-printer different from Windows Standard printer

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Peter2
User

set standard-printer different from Windows Standard printer

Post by Peter2 »

In my Windows settings, I defined "PDF-XChange" printer" for all my usual software. So it is also the standard-printer for PDF-Editor. The problem is - when I opened a PDF in Editor, then I usually don't want to print to PDF, I want to print to paper.

So the question is:
How to set a standard-printer for Editor, different from Windows Standard printer?
PDF-X-Change Pro German
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: set standard-printer different from Windows Standard printer

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Peter2

This can be done with a JavaScript file, I have attached below a file which will set the default printer to MS print to PDF. This is based on the printer name, so you will need to edit the file so that the "printer name" is typed out as the desired printer. Note that this is case sensitive, and will not work if there is no printer matching the name you have entered. Ensure that what you have typed perfectly matches what appears in the list of available printers within the Editor, and you will be good to go.

Once the printer name is correctly set, you can save the .js file to the following directory:

%appdata%\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\JavaScripts

You may need to manually create the JavaScripts folder under 3.0. Once this file is in the correct location, you can restart the editor and you should see that the desired printer is enabled initially.

Do note that this is a "soft" setting. The Editor will still remember the last used printer during the session, and will not revert to this printer automatically after being changed, unless the app is closed and reopened.

Kind regards,
Attachments
setDefPrinter.zip
(239 Bytes) Downloaded 40 times
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

Thanks Daniel

it seem to be OK. Just to be precise for other users:

When you have a printer with serverpath, like "\\myserver\myprinter", you have to type it with escaped backslashes:

\\\\myserver\\myprinter

I can not confirm the "case sensitive" clause - I tried "mYprINTer" and it worked too.
PDF-X-Change Pro German
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Peter2

Thank you for the followup and added clarification there. As for case sensitivity, I am surprised to hear that it works like that now. In the past it was case sensitive, it seems that we have changed this at some point since I last had to suggest this option.

I am glad to hear that you were able to get this all working!

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com