Feature request: Search selected pages / range

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Timur Born
User

Feature request: Search selected pages / range

Post by Timur Born »

Hello.

I would like to suggest a feature that allows to conduct searches only within certain page ranges or selected pages. This would allow to search for keywords within single/selected chapters of a book only.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: Search selected pages / range

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Timur Born

Thank you for the request, I am afraid that after a brief discussion with the Dev team on this, they have confirmed that we do not currently intend to offer a feature like this. While we will take note of the suggestion, I must inform you that it is unlikely to be implemented.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Thanks Daniel. This is kind of disappointing, because PDF search and result presentation is something that still needs much better support by PDF software.

The current workaround is to extract the pages to a new document and search in there, but that messes with page numbers and means extra work. Editor could do this step internally and thus offer a "selected pages" search without too much new code.

While we are at it, here are two more feature request connected to the workaround:

1. Please allow several page ranges to be selected. Editor currently only allows to select one range via selection box or shift-key modifier. It does allow to select additional single pages via CTRL modifier, but combining shift+CTRL does not allow for more than one selection range.

So currently I can select something like pages 4-15 + 19 + 20 + 21 + 22 + 23, but I cannot select pages 4-15 + 19-23.

2. Allow to copy "logical" page numbers with extracted pages in order to keep those intact and also allow to display logical page numbers in search results instead of physical ones.
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

+1 each for this
Timur Born wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:38 amsearches only within certain page ranges or selected pages
feature request

...and for the
Timur Born wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:38 amallow several page ranges to be selected
idea.

Thank you
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, Timur and David

Thank you for the suggestions, and Support for those options. As I mentioned above, specific page searching is not currently something that we have planned to implement, but I will take note of your interest.

As for the workarounds, While we do not yet allow multiple group selection in the thumbnails pane, the "extract pages" function does offer a "range" field, which you can type multiple ranges into, like so:

-5, 11-25, 100, 256, 760-
This will Select extract all pages from the start of the document, to page 5, then 11-25, 100, 256, and then all pages from 760 until the end of the document, for a total of 32 pages in my 769 page documnet:
PDFXEdit_04wN6GgyBS.png
I hope this helps with that scenario.

As for extracting logical page numbers, this is not something currently possible to implement.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Coming back to this, are there any plans to allow logical page numbers to be extracted and be displayed in search results? Extracting page-ranges just for search and then getting back rather irrelevant page numbers in search results is still rather inconvenient. Fortunately my documents include page numbers as part of the content, but still.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, Timur Born

I am sorry to say that currently no, there are still no plans to implement extraction of logical page numbering. If we see more requests for it, we may reconsider in the future and look into ways to make it possible, but as of right now, it does not seem likely.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com