Adding Table as a New Markup Type

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

lester1027
User

Adding Table as a New Markup Type

Post by lester1027 »

I would like to suggest adding editable tables as a new type of markup. This is because when we read through a pdf lecture note or book, we may want to jot down some notes in a structured and organized way. Is this possible?

Thank you very much.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Adding Table as a New Markup Type

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, lester1027

I am afraid that The PDF specification does not define a "table" as an available comment/markup type, nor does it allow us to add table formatting inside another comment, and as such this is not something that will be possible.
The best alterative I can offer at the moment is to use multiple "textbox" annotations, manually laid out in a table format.

I should also note that we are planning a "table editing mode" which will be better at detecting table formatting in base content for the near future. In that situation, you will also be able to edit existing "tables" in base content.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
lester1027
User

Post by lester1027 »

Then I can think of a workaround. The 'table' can be defined as a drawing in the pdf file (a draw table tool). Then users can use the flattening function of xchange editor to flatten the 'table'. After becoming base content, the 'table' can be detected and edited by the forthcoming function you mentioned.

Thank you.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, lester1027

Thank you for the suggestion, I cannot promise that this will be implemented, be we will consider it for the future.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com