Missing letter after drop cap

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Bizzle
User

Post by Bizzle »

Hello

Please bear with me if I don't use the correct terms because I'm a bit of a novice at this. I'm proofreading a book on pdf but I've noticed that occasionally the letter after the drop cap at the beginning of the chapter is missing. eg 'L zy Sunday' It doesn't happen to all of them. The drop cap is TradeGothic-BoldCondTwenty and the narrative font is Meridien-Roman. It was fine the first few times I opened the file, over the course of a few days, but after I've run a spell check (not sure if that's relevant or not), the letters go missing. Also, during the spell check, sometimes I can't see the entire first sentence of the chapter.

Does this make sense to anyone, and is there anything I can do to stop it? When I send the file back, will the publisher be able to see the letters again? It's happened on two books so far, from two different publishers.

Thanks very much.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Missing letter after drop cap

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Bizzle

My first question will of course be, what version of our software are you running? The latest is V8 build 339.0, if you are not running this version, please first update the software and see if you can reproduce the issue there.

I will say that I have not seen an issue quite like this yet, so I believe it is safe to say it is not something that is common at the very least. If possible, could I ask you to extract one or two of that pages from a document that have this issue, and also extract the same pages from the original unaffected version of the document, then send all of those to us for investigation. Along with this, if you could provide an example of what exact steps you go through to cause this to happen, it would be very helpful.

If these files are sensitive documents, please email them to support@pdf-xchange.com directly, so that we can see them without you needing to post the to our public forums. Please be sure to include a link to this forum post in that email as well.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Bizzle
User

Post by Bizzle »

Thanks for your reply. I've emailed you. I'm hoping it's something simple my end.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, Bizzle

Thank you for the samples, It does indeed seem to be something pertaining to Spellcheck, as I can reproduce it here. I will need to show this to our dev team for further analasys. I am sorry to say that at the moment I have not yet discovered a suitable workaround for you. I will follow-up here and via email once I have any further information.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi again, Bizzle

So after further testing, we have discovered that there is certainly something strange occurring with the letter A in these instances, I have created a ticket on the matter, which you can ask me about at any time here, simply reference the below ticket number:
#5257: Spellcheck/editing causes a character to go missing in "original" documents

I will detail the possible temporary workaround I have found for you via email with screenshots in a few minutes, as you wanted to keep these documents secure.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Bizzle
User

Post by Bizzle »

Thanks again. I have emailed you some further examples from a previous book. Hope you have received it.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com