Can't trim white margins EXACTLY to zero

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi Forum & Tracker Support team,

I have a CAD drawing in two versions here, one is a high resolution colored bitmap (PNG) and the other is a black and white vector-based PDF.

I would like to superimpose these two drawings exactly on top of each other on one PDF page.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work because I can't get the two drawings to have the exact same size.

If I crop the page with the bitmap drawing by removing the white margins in the Crop Pages dialog, then the white margins are trimmed exactly to zero, so far so good.

However, if I try and do the same with the vector PDF drawing, the white borders are not trimmed exactly to zero, instead a small white border remains all around. This also happens also when I try the same with Ad*be Acr*bat.

I currently see no other way to get the black and white vector drawing and the colored bitmap drawing to have the exact same size and position, so that I can superimpose them precisely on a page.

Also and strangely, when I use the "Transform" dialog and enter the exact same size and position for both the vector object and the bitmap object, the latter is still a couple of millimeters larger than the former.

Thanks for any advice, ideally regarding the question of how to trim the white margins of a page with a vector drawing exactly to zero...
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Peter2
User

Re: Can't trim white margins EXACTLY to zero

Post by Peter2 »

@David.P

could you solve it?

Maybe it is similar to this:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32710&p=134155&hilit=crop+white#p134155
--
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Would it help to first do a File > Export from the PDF with the vector drawing to an Image type like PNG, before executing "crop" ?

Kind regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Willy Van Nuffel,

I presume David wants to keep the vector objects as they are! Otherwise having both as raster content will probably help!
I suspect that there are some (maybe even invisible) borders on some of the objects in the vector file which cause the problem.

However - David please try to open the contents pane of the vector file, and select all the content there, then copy it and paste it over the image one. That way the dimensions should be 'preserved' with no scaling needed (or cropping of the page in the vector file where you are cropping empty page space anyway). Presuming that both the raster and vector files were done with the same scaling by the initial tool that created those - then the vector objects should just directly match what is on the image, and it will be a matter of just positioning them exactly over the image if they do not paste already at the right coordinates.

Kind regards,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I will come back and try these, should the issue come up again.

Best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)