PDF-Editor: Linux/wine problem -- text field editing

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Don_Pedro
User

PDF-Editor: Linux/wine problem -- text field editing

Post by Don_Pedro »

Hello,

I'm using PDF-XChange editor 8.0.334.0 on a Linux system with Wine emulator (Linux Mint 19.1 [which is based on Ubuntu 18.04], Wine 4.03, 32bit environment). Generally, PDF-XChange editor is working fine. However, there is a very strange problem that appears consistently with all kinds of pdf files.

I can edit a pdf file by inserting a text field. Text properties for that box can then be changed (making the text bold/cursive, changing the font or the font size, etc.). I can see the changes for as long as I am editing the text box. As soon as I finish editing (cursor outside of text box), all edited text immediately reverts to default settings. Bold or cursive text changes to normal text again, just the standard font and normal font size, etc.

There is no such problem if I'm using PDF-XChange editor with Windows 10.

Do you have any idea of what might be wrong (some kind of setting?).

Thank you.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF-Editor: Linux/wine problem -- text field editing

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Don_Pedro,

To be honest I haven't seen such a problem before.

Could you please try to install the latest version 8.0.339.0 and see if this resolves the problem:

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads

Regards.
Don_Pedro
User

Post by Don_Pedro »

Hello Dimitar,

thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, that's a very strange problem indeed. In particular because things are working fine with Windows 10, but not with Linux Mint / Wine which is supposed to emulate the Windows environment.

I updated to vers. 8.0.339.0, but things are just the same. I can only make temporary changes to the contents of a text field, but can't make them permanent. Everything changes back to the standard setting as soon as I finish editing the text box.

Just one idea: could it be that certain special administrative privileges are needed to save the settings? PDF-XChange Editor was installed from my user account, as usual. However, there is no corresponding error message of any kind.

Best regards.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello,

Could you please try with the portable version and see if there is difference in the behavior?

You can download it from this link:

https://downloads.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXE ... rtable.zip

Regards.
Don_Pedro
User

Post by Don_Pedro »

Thanks again. I downloaded the portable version (8.0.339.0) of PDF-XChange Editor and tried to edit text boxes.

As far as I can see, everything is just the same as with the installed version of PDF-XChange Editor 8.0.339.0.

I can insert text boxes and put text inside. I can make temporary changes to the text inside the text box (such as: font, font size, bold/italic, etc.), but these changes are not permanent. Everything reverts back to the default format after I finish editing.

Interestingly, I can make permanent changes to the text box itself (such as: border color, border width and style). But it's not possible for the text inside.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Don_Pedro,

Is it is possible to send me one of the documents you are trying to edit?

If the document contains any confidential information, please send it to: support@pdf-xchange.com

Regards.
Don_Pedro
User

Post by Don_Pedro »

Hello,
there is nothing special about the pdf documents. I have the problem with any pdf file that has text boxes in it.

I've created a pdf file from a Tracker Software WWW page and inserted two text boxes. It's not possible for me to make permanent format changes (bold, italics, underline, font, font size etc.) to the text inside the text boxes using XChange Editor with Linux Mint/Wine 32bit environment. Editing the text boxes using XChange Editor with Windows 10 is OK.

Thanks and best regards.
Tracker-Sample.pdf.zip
(90.87 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Don_Pedro,

Thank you for the example file.

Yes, probably it is not file-related but I have to exclude that as a possible cause.

I have set up a Linux/Wine test environment to test this issue.

I will get back to you when I have some information about the problem.

Regards.