What settings are exported ?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

groovyclam
User

What settings are exported ?

Post by groovyclam »

Hi I've just had to reinstall my PC after a bad disc corruption and so re-installed PDF-XChange Editor.
I had customised my menus and ribbons and layout a lot over time and the reinstallation meant I'm having to do this again. I've realised I should have exported my settings and put the file in my backup area and will do that from now on.

My question is - does the export save EVERY customisation I make to my layout ? Or is there a file in my USER home directory I should back up as well just to be one the safe side ?
David.P
User

Re: What settings are exported ?

Post by David.P »

Hi groovyclam,
groovyclam wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:00 amMy question is - does the export save EVERY customisation I make to my layout ?
YES it does, which is very handy.

For recovering your settings from the crashed PC, if you have a backup of your corrupted windows installation, you could have a look into it it from your fresh installation, load the HKEY_USERS part of the registry of your crashed PC, and export the settings from this path in your old registry:

Code: Select all

HKEY_USERS\[your user ID]\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor
...then (carefully) import these settings to your active registry.

HTH
Cheers
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

My settings file represents hours of me tinkering with PDF XChange so it works the way I want it to. Backup and restore of those settings is so, so easy to do. I routinely back up my settings to avoid having to go back to square one. I wince when I read on here that someone has lost their settings.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips, David.

Yes, it exports all the settings, and it is a very good idea to back up those settings from time to time because recovering them form the registry sometimes is extremely difficult.

Regards.