[BUG] Scan (Image Insertion Option) Convert to B&W ignored.

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

dave.kracht
User

Post by dave.kracht »

When I try to convert the color space, when scanning an image (+ OCR) the color conversion (see image below) is ignored. The final embedded image in the pdf is always shown with "Color Space = DeviceGray" and "BPC = 8" as grayscale image.
Anyway, resizing seems to be triggerd and works.
grayscale-to-bw.PNG
Running "Recompress Image" (see below) afterwards finally does the job, but this is not my expected workflow.
grayscale-to-bw_afterwards.PNG
What's wrong here ?

Edit:
Additional Info: Scanning in "Color mode" runs the conversion into B/W without any problem. Maybe you do only inspect the "Color Space" to decide wheter conversion should be done, but igoring conversion BPC (8) -> BPC (1). Something is not triggered here.

Edit: Questions:
  • Is the conversion running before or after OCR? After would archive better results, yes ?
  • If OCR is running after conversion, is there a batch way to compress all images in the document?

Ok. Found this.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:07 am We do however have an active ticket for that request:
RT#4415: Recompress Multiple Images
Any progress on the RT ?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: [BUG] Scan (Image Insertion Option) Convert to B&W ignored.

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, dave.kracht

Apologies for the long delay in a reply here, and thank you for the email as well, We have managed to reproduce this now, we should be able to resolve the bug for the next release of the software (340.0), though I cannot offer a timeline for what that release may come just yet.

As for FR#4415, The ticket has been assigned to a developer and recently had its priority increased, but we currently do not have any further news on the progress.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
dave.kracht
User

Post by dave.kracht »

Thank you for your investigations and fixing the issue.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
dave.kracht
User

Post by dave.kracht »

This bug was NOT FIXED.
I installed (the portable) version 341.0 today and was wondering about the issue still exist.
Have you tested the fix after pulling it into the new release?
dave.kracht
User

Post by dave.kracht »

Hello there,
may you comment on my post ?
Attachments
image.png
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Dave,

there is noting on the ticket to indicate this is done. What prompted you to believe that is was included n 341 may I ask? It seems there have been some miscommunication. The item is still listed as open, it is assigned a developer, but that is all, it is not resolved at this point in time.

I can ask the development team what their ETA is for delivery on this, but I expect it is taking a low priority right now as we are in the final stages of preparing the initial release of Version 9.

Note that the primary thrust of V9 is compliance with Accessibility Standards. It is an enormous task and it has impacted the development and bug fixing process. I cannot promise this will be done before the initial V9 release, it may be a build subsequent to that I am afraid.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com